Kerala is a vast state with much to see. One of the top tourist destinations in the world, it is thronged by visitors from across the globe. The state is thus highly tourist-friendly and affords easy transport options for travellers. Choose from numerous options such as road transport – bus, train, autorickshaw, taxi – to waterways such as ferry, jhankar, and boats. Here is a guide to how you can travel around God’s Own Country.
Intra State Travel – Within Kerala
The invaluable KSRTC & KURTC
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) and Kerala Urban Road Transport Corporation (KURTC) are the lifeline of the state. These ubiquitous buses are the cheapest and sometimes fastest means of transit. They are present in every city, town, and village, and reach the most remote corners of the state. Sometimes rattling, but always sturdy, these buses have transferred the people of this land from one place to another since 1961. The trusted carriage of every Keralite, KSRTC has come a long way over the years as they are now available in comfortable low-floor AC buses on certain routes. The minimum charges range from ₹7 (£0.08) to ₹21 (£0.25) depending upon the travel time and comfort level of the bus.
Local and Passenger Trains
Local trains are the most convenient and comfortable form of travel between districts of Kerala. They also afford beautiful views of the gorgeous landscapes of the state. Schedule charts and details are available at all major railway stations.
Autorickshaws and City buses
Within city limits or for short distances, the best forms of travel are KSRTC ordinary buses and privately owned city buses which are available every minute at every stop in the state. Another option is the autorickshaw aka auto which can be opted for if you prefer to have the vehicle all for yourself and reach the doorstep of your destination. Autos are unmetered, so keep in mind the while choosing an auto, 1) seek advice regarding the price from local people, 2) agree upon the cost of journey with the driver before hiring, and last but not least 3) bargain.
The Kochi Metro started its services in 2017 and has been a reprieve for the inhabitants of the busy city. The first line of the Metro plies between Aluva and Maharajas College stations, and will soon extend further to Petta station. With a minimum fare of Rs 10 (£0.12), it is cheap and the most comfortable form of travel within Kochi. Built on overhead lines, the journey affords fine views of Kochi city.
Uber and Ola are available in big cities like Kochi, Trivandrum, and Calicut and are quickly spreading to lower tier cities like Thrissur etc. They are a good option to keep a check on your travel budget.
Cruise on ferries and jhankars
Kerala is a land of waterways and travelling its several backwaters, lakes, and rivers calls for transit through ferry services. Motor boats are the most prolific form of transport in these regions. The ferry service is most popular in Fort Kochi to travel to Willingdon Island and Vypin. You can also travel in barges called Jhankar. Charges begin at Rs 3 (£0.03). Houseboats and canoes are the staple mode of commute in Alappuzha district. They are priced at Rs 400 (£5) and onwards.
Inter State Travel – Beyond Kerala
The following are the three international airports in Kerala, of which CIAL is the most connected airport with regular flights to all major cities in India and the world.
Cochin International Airport Limited, Nedumbassery – CIAL (IATA: COK)
Trivandrum International Airport, Vallakkadavu (IATA: TRV)
Calicut International Airport, Karipur (IATA: CCJ)
Kerala has an extensive railway network with frequent trains connecting the state well with the rest of the country. The state has 81 main railway stations spread across 14 districts. Almost all interstate to and fro trains in Kerala connect with any of the three railway junctions namely, Trivandrum Central (TVC), Ernakulam South/Junction (ERS), Shoranur Junction (SRR).
Long distance bus services are provided by the Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) and several privately owned companies on a daily basis. All main cities in Kerala are well connected to major cities and pilgrimage/tourist centres in South India like Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Chennai, etc. Buses of varying comfort levels, from non-a/c buses to a/c sleeper buses are available.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.