Forget that Friday feeling – in Hong Kong, it’s all about ‘Happy Wednesday’, as horse racing at the city’s Happy Valley Racecourse is the main crowd-pleaser of the week, attracting huge crowds who come to beat their midweek blues.
It’s not football, rugby or basketball that draws the biggest sporting crowds in Hong Kong; instead, it’s horse racing that is the main event. So much so that the midweek racing action at the city’s Happy Valley Racecourse has earned itself the moniker ‘Happy Wednesday’.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It’s on Wednesdays that the crowds turn out in droves to enjoy a cheeky bet or two and a generous helping of beer, food, live music, and prizes. Indeed, horse racing is big business in Hong Kong. Run by the non-profit Hong Kong Jockey Club, it’s the only legal betting outfit in the city, and it has two racecourses as well as 100 betting shops under a government license.
Last year, Hong Kong Jockey Club posted record-breaking profits of HK$216.5 billion (US$28 billion) in the 2016–2017 financial year alone.
For a mere HK$10 entrance fee, it’s cheap and cheerful entertainment, and the atmosphere is always lively with an international crowd enjoying the weekly party in the heart of the city’s centre. The Happy Valley Racecourse has become one of the most famous racecourses in the world. Surrounded by the dizzying skyscrapers of Hong Kong’s iconic skyline, it all adds to the overall atmosphere.
Of course, there are serious gamblers who keep glued to their TV screens in brightly lit betting halls, but most people come for a bit of fun and to soak up the incredible vibe of the event.
Whereas football or basketball players tend to be sporting heroes in the States and Europe, in Hong Kong, it’s the horse racing jockeys who are the stars of the show. They are the city’s equivalent of Cristiano Ronaldo or Floyd Mayweather, and if they win their races, they can earn massive prize money and usually an army of female admirers too.
There’s live music from a latin band and a general party atmosphere, and despite the generous amounts of alcohol consumed, there are no fights. Everyone stops to watch the races and cheer the horses home.
People come to test their luck and enjoy the entertainment in what usually lives up to its promise of being a ‘Happy Wednesday’ for most who attend.
Horse racing was first introduced to Hong Kong during British colonial rule in 1884. The Hong Kong Jockey Club was previously known as The Royal Hong Kong Jockey Club until 1997 when Hong Kong returned to Chinese sovereignty, and it was then renamed.
Today, the Hong Kong Jockey Club is the largest taxpayer in Hong Kong. Last year, the club paid the government HK$21.7 billion (US$2.8 billion) in duty and profits tax, hitting an all-time high. The club is also the largest donator to charities in the city.
With record-breaking profits and the crowds still flocking to the city’s main event, here’s betting that Happy Wednesdays are set to be a winning formula for many a year to come.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.