Hong Kong is a multifaceted city. Part jungle, part metropolis, a thriving financial hub and a spiritual sanctuary, it truly needs to be thoroughly explored to be understood. If you’re ready to discover this SAR for yourself, check out these 12 experiences.
There are so many ways to experience Hong Kong. Adventure junkies can explore the area’s natural beauty by boat, on foot or even via rope. Those with tamer interests can spend an afternoon honing their Chinese painting skills or mastering the art of tea. Foodies are spoiled for choice, with dozens of tours and cooking classes available every day of the week. These top experiences will take you to mountaintops, through sea caves and everywhere in between.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Food and spirituality are both integral parts of the culture in Hong Kong, so embrace them with a hands-on course. This isn’t your traditional Cantonese cooking class. Instead, this one focuses on creating whimsical bento boxes with seasonal ingredients. After a walk through the city’s dried seafood district, you’ll work with trained therapists to uncover your personal colour associations and learn how to work with Wu Xing, or Five Elements, energy to create something both beautiful and delicious.
If you’ve had dim sum before, then you know exactly how delicious xiao long bao are. These steamed pouches of heaven are also known as soup dumplings, because they’re filled with bubbling hot broth. Learn the secret to this culinary miracle (from a family recipe) so you can bring the magic home with you. Vegetarian and pescatarian options are available, just let the team know in advance.
If you love horse racing, then this is the tour for you. Get up close and personal with one of Hong Kong’s two famous horse racing venues, and spend the day rooting for your picks from the lush Members’ Enclosure. If you’re new to racing, this tour comes with a ‘how to’ guide and a HK$30 (£3) betting voucher to get you started. Live the high life by spending the day sipping on complimentary wine, beer and drinks and nibbles at the buffet. It even includes round-trip transportation to your hotel.
Ready to see the city from a totally different perspective? Harness up and hit the mountains for a rock climb. Whether you’re brand-new to climbing or an expert, these guides know the perfect route for your group and will tailor it to suit everyone’s abilities. Every group is limited to four people, so you’ll feel safe and supported the entire day. And if you’re nervous, just think of the views to come.
Once upon a time, Hong Kong was completely illuminated with neon signs. They advertised everything from restaurants to printing shops, but now they’re almost extinct. Learn about their fascinating history as you walk through the most iconic spots in the city. You’ll learn how these signs were made and get professional tips on how to photograph them. Take a quick break at Mak Man Kee Noodle Shop for a £3.70 Michelin-star meal, before finishing the night at Ocean Terminal Deck for a 270-degree light-filled view over Victoria Harbour.
Hong Kong is stressful. Take some time to chill out with a tai chi class led by a master. Tai chi, also known as shadow boxing, integrates the mind and body and enhances one’s qi (vital life force). Here, overlooking Victoria Harbour, you’ll learn all about the history of this ancient martial art and go through a series of motions to stimulate your qi and strengthen your body. This is great for beginners, but not suitable for children.
Once you see the Hong Kong skyline, you’ll understand why Hong Kongers are so obsessed with it. Of course, you can check it out from a rooftop bar or ogle it from the top of a mountain, but the coolest way to take it all in is with a helicopter tour. Soar higher than the skyscrapers and see the mountainous, tropical coastline and myriad islands dotting the clear waters. Tours range from 18-45 minutes long, and you can opt to reflect on the experience over the Peninsula Hotel’s famous afternoon tea.
Instead of trawling through markets for the perfect souvenir, make a totally unique one for yourself at this Chinese painting class. Learn what it takes to craft your own work of art under the watchful eye of a talented artist and while sipping on copious amounts of tea. You’ll experiment with Chinese paintbrushes, rice paper and collage techniques before making your final masterpiece. Chinese art is typically inspired by the natural world, so look around you and find the beauty in the everyday, like graceful stalks of bamboo, elegant flowers or colourful fish.
Awaken your senses with a tea tasting at MingCha Tea House. Spend a few hours in the company of tea masters who will take you through four unique teas that are little known outside Asia. Not only will you learn about the distinct production processes, but you’ll delve into the flavour profiles and learn how to expertly brew your own at home. Smell, taste, touch and see the differences between tea leaves and find your perfect blend. This is a great option for families with young children, too.
After days of exploring, you deserve to treat yourself, and how better than with a quintessential Hong Kong experience? Do as the locals do and opt for a relaxing foot massage. Ten Feet Tall offers one of the best experiences in the city. Head to one of their two branches and spoil your sore feet with a reflexology massage. It might hurt a bit at first, but when it’s over you’ll be walking on air. They offer pressure point, aromatic and lymphatic drainage massages as well, if the rest of your body is craving a reset.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.