They say a Hong Kong second is a New York minute – but this fast-paced city has a tranquil side, too. Above the frenetic streets are pools and spas, chill-out spaces and tai chi classes, as hotels vie to help their guests unwind from their busy lives. Here are the best spa hotels in Hong Kong, all bookable with Culture Trip.
As if the Victoria Harbour setting wasn’t uplifting enough, the 546-room Kerry knows how to boost your wellbeing. The 25m (82ft) outdoor pool is heated in winter, while inside you’ll find a hot whirlpool bath, sauna and steam rooms. As the spa is open late, slink off before bed for a Signature Asian Blend Massage, which combines Thai pressure points, Balinese and Malaysian strokes and Chinese energy flow, with restorative and balancing effects.
In the harbourside commercial district, the Grand Hyatt focuses on fitness for busy guests, with a state-of-the-art gym and classes such as tai chi and yoga by the pool. Combined with the 11th-floor Plateau Spa, which offers Chinese-inspired therapies in ensuite treatment rooms, it’s one of the most impressive wellness retreats in Hong Kong. Take some time to relax in the courtyard after the spa, in the soothing sun-dappled shade of the trees.
The Angsana Spa at Hotel ICON is the award-winning sister brand of spa resort innovators, Banyan Tree. Natural ingredients and aromatherapy are at the heart of the treatments, which are finished off with a relaxing footbath as you sip herbal tea. Treatment rooms are far above the ordinary, as each has a jacuzzi and separate shower room. You might find yourself keen to work out, too, since the double-height gym and outdoor pool come with an inspiring harbour view.
Above busy Mong Kok, you can cool off with ice pops in cabanas and laps around the outdoor 20m (65ft) pool. You can’t help but feel Zen when you’ve partaken in tai chi with the resident master and had a treatment at the Chuan Spa, where ancient Chinese medicine informs the menu. The Chuan Bathing Ritual takes you on a watery journey, with a herbal steam room followed by a Japanese onsen shower.
The Rosewood takes a whole-lifestyle approach to wellbeing. The fitness centre features a 25m (82ft) outdoor infinity pool, private coaches, group classes and state-of-the-art equipment, all with mighty harbour views. Setting it apart are the assessment sessions, which are short (around 45 minutes) but high-impact, designed to reflect on your self-care, reduce stress, manage your energy and promote a mindful work-life balance.
Set apart from the cluster of Central District skyscrapers, the Murray offers far-reaching views and plenty of space to sprawl in the modern rooms. The spa, which focuses on medically inspired massages, is the only one in Asia to partner with Dr Barbara Sturm’s coveted skincare line. The hotel is also a master of mindfulness, offering everything from calligraphy, tea ceremonies and gong therapy to yoga, tai chi classes and guided nature hikes.
Spread over two floors of one of the most prestigious hotels in the world is the serene Oriental Spa, itself one of the top spas in Hong Kong. Arrive an hour before your treatment to make the most of the heat and water experiences, including experience showers, an ice fountain, amethyst crystal steam rooms, saunas and vitality pools. The couples spa suite, which you can book for up to five hours, is the ultimate retreat from the city bustle, with a vitality tub, dual massage beds and shared futon.
On the 76th-floor rooftop of the W, you will find the highest outdoor heated swimming pool and jacuzzis in Hong Kong. A few floors below, the large Bliss Spa has 80 treatments on the menu in nine harbour-view rooms. This international chain is famed for its sprinkling of fun, hence the movie-while-you-mani station and Wet Weekends, which include access to the heat and water facilities and two glasses of Veuve Clicquot while you soak up the sun.
In vibrant Tsim Sha Tsui, the shopping and entertainment district of Hong Kong, the Mira caters for spa-loving groups. Cocktails and canapés put an indulgent spin on your treatments when you book a bespoke SPArty package with your friends. In the treatment rooms relaxation is taken seriously, with personal light, sound and temperature settings. Or simply flop in the MiraSpa, alternating between the heated waterbeds, sauna, steam room and infinity pool.
The Four Seasons brand is known for innovative spas, and the Hong Kong branch lives up to the hype. It’s geared up for holistic experiences; from soothing spa treatments to sound therapy and guided meditation. Take yourself on a restorative journey with their half-day Well Feeling package, where a full-body massage using a warm herbal poultice is followed by a mini facial, a tea ceremony or bath therapy, then lunch on the pool terrace.
It may have opened almost 140 years after its London counterpart, but the Langham lavishly captures a sense of bygone eras, down to the chandeliers and Rococo swirls. Tradition meets state of the art at Chuan Body + Soul wellness centre: there’s a split-level fitness club and outdoor pool, plus a menu of spa treatments inspired by Chinese philosophy. Try the Chuan Balancing Massage, which uses acupressure to promote the circulation of the body’s life force (Qi) and aid healing.
Once you zip up the 80-second lift to the Ritz Carlton, which tops the International Commerce Centre in Kowloon, you may never want to leave. The Ozone rooftop lounge delivers a skyline panorama, live DJs and Sunday brunch, and there’s an indoor infinity pool with a mirrored ceiling and LED lights. Facing the harbour on the 116th floor is the spa; book the Harbour View Spa Suite Retreat to sip bubbles in a hot tub before your personalised massage.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.