Morocco’s Red City is an enthralling destination for people of all ages. A plethora of attractions and activities ensure that there’s never a dull moment. There are certainly plenty of reasons to visit Marrakech. Budget-friendly activities ensure it’s a top destination for all. Here are some of the best things for younger visitors to enjoy in Marrakech.
Stay in a Sociable Riad
Marrakech has a wealth of traditional homes, known as riads and dars, that have been converted into enchanting guest houses. Usually brimming with exotic designs and patterns, staying in a riad is one of the best ways to experience a little part of local life. Some riads cater especially to younger guests, with sociable common areas and a program of activities to help people to make new friends and mingle. There are enough budget accommodations in Marrakech to keep your bank account happy.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Find the Tastiest Street Food
Marrakech, as with Morocco in general, is famous for its delicious cuisine. The local street food is especially tempting for younger guests, being both wallet-friendly and tasty. Meat skewers, soups, sandwiches, pastries, and pizzas are among the city’s street fare. There are plenty of places to dine on a budget too, if you want a sit-down meal.
Spend a Day at a Water Park
What better way could there be to cool down and have fun on a hot summer’s day than to head to a water park? Race your buddies down the chutes and slides, feel refreshed in the pools, and enjoy varied features such as lazy rivers, inflatable toys, and sunbathing areas. Oasiria, Aqua Fun Club, and Eden Aquapark are a few to add to your list.
Ride on the Back of a Camel
While many people think of camels when they think of Morocco, it can come as a surprise to find that camels are typically only found close to the desert areas. Head to Palmeraie, a palm oasis just outside the city centre, and you’ll be able to experience the fun of a camel ride.
Enjoy the Thrill of Quad Biking
Another popular activity in Palmeraie is quad biking. The sandy and rocky terrain, surrounded by lush palm trees, is ideal for adventures.
Explore in a Horse-Drawn Carriage
Take a horse-drawn carriage ride around the city for a different perspective. Especially loved by young couples, a ride in a calleche can be super romantic in the right company.
Enjoy the Local Art Scene
Artsy youngsters may appreciate the city’s diverse art scene. There are several small galleries in Gueliz, in addition to studios at Sidi Ghanem and museums that contain beautiful local artwork. There’s also plentiful street art to admire.
Haggle Hard in the Souks
The colourful souks of Marrakech draw visitors of all ages. Even if you don’t plan to buy anything, seeing the range of wares and experiencing the lively atmosphere are must-dos. If something does catch your eye, don’t forget to indulge in some friendly haggling to secure the best price for your gifts and souvenirs.
Navigate the Streets of the Medina
The old medina of Marrakech is another top city attraction regardless of age. Spend at least a few hours getting lost in the maze-like alleyways and seeing how local people live within the high outer walls.
Learn More about the Local History
Young and old alike cannot help but be interested in Marrakech’s long history. A former imperial city, Marrakech’s splendid historic spots include the Saadian Tombs, Badi Palace, Bahia Palace, and Koutoubia Mosque.
Take it Easy in a Hammam
Even youngsters need a little TLC at times! Treat yourself to a little pampering with a visit to a Marrakshi hammam. The public hammams let you bathe with the locals and enjoy lower costs. If you want a little more luxury, however, you’ll also find a good selection of high-class spas too.
Get Comfortable in a Shisha Café
Ornate shisha pipes are among the goods you’ll find for sale in Marrakech’s many markets. There are also several shisha cafes where you can chill out in ambient surroundings and enjoy a smoke while listening to hypnotic music.
Discover Your Favourite Roof Terrace
Visit a few cafes with roof terraces and find the best views and most laid-back atmosphere in the Red City. Those around Djemaa el Fna are especially enthralling, although those that overlook the medina’s rooftops can be equally as endearing. While you won’t usually find alcohol on the drinks menu you can enjoy a refreshing glass of mint tea, fruit juice, or other soft drink.
Experience the Energy of Djemaa el Fna
Djemaa el Fna is Marrakech’s main square. A hive of activity by day and by night, it is a magnet for most visitors to the city. A world of enchantment awaits, with monkeys and snake charmers, fortune tellers, story tellers, magicians, acrobats and more.
Decorate Yourself with a Henna Tattoo
Probably more appealing for female visitors, there are numerous women at Djemaa el Fna who will decorate your hands, arms, feet and legs with an intricate temporary henna tattoo. The dye eventually fades away, leaving you with no permanent skin patterns. Choose your design and relax as the women skillfully apply the henna to your skin. Be sure, however to only use brown henna; black henna can cause allergic reactions and chemical burns.
Go Bar Hopping in Gueliz and Hivernage
Gueliz is the newer part of Marrakech, built during the French colonial era. It is also where you will find the highest concentration of bars and nightclubs. Alternatively, the high-class hotels of Hivernage boast a terrific assortment of clubs, bars and shows. Put your glad rags on and head out for a night of dancing, drinking and merriment in the diverse nighttime entertainment venues.
Feel the Rush at Terres d’Amanar
Terres d’Amanar is within the wider Marrakech region, 41 kilometres from the city centre. It offers an array of adrenaline-inducing activities, including a long zipline across a gaping gorge. Other activities include horse riding, mountain biking, rope courses in the trees, climbing, and archery.
Hike a Waterfall at Ourika Valley
Located 40 kilometres from the heart of Marrakech, the lush Ourika Valley is a great place for visitors to admire mountain scenery and hike a multi-level waterfall. The riverside restaurants at Setti Fatma are ideal for refueling.
Go Surfing in Essaouira
Essaouira is a coastal destination that is a popular day trip from Marrakech. In addition to a charming medina, an old fortress, laid-back souks and a collection of cool bars, the windy conditions on the beaches make it an ideal place for surfing, windsurfing, and kite surfing.
Take a Day Trip to Ouarzazate
Another top day trip to make from Marrakech is to Ouarzazate. Located on the fringes of the Sahara Desert, it is often referred to as the ‘Door to the Desert’. The beguiling mud-built kasbah of Ait Ben Haddou draws scores of visitors, and there is also a movie museum and filming studios in the area. You might be surprised to discover the amount of movies that have been shot here and in other parts of the country.
Other things that people in their 20s may enjoy around Marrakech are visiting the city’s varied museums, getting up close and personal with former working donkeys at Jarjeer Donkey Sanctuary, hitting the modern shops of Gueliz, and shopping for crafts and handmade goods at Sidi Ghanem. Additionally, you could explore the city’s diverse neighbourhoods, take a day trip to Ouzoud Waterfall, visit Marrakech’s tanneries, watch the Fantasia Show at Chez Ali, and, if time permits, take a three-day trip to the mighty Sahara Desert.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.