In addition to its fascinating historic and cultural sites, lush gardens and parks, and varied day trip opportunities, Marrakesh is a fantastic place for those looking to pick up some terrific bargains. The lively souks (markets) in the medina attract many, with traditional items, spices, clothing, and souvenirs galore. Gueliz boasts numerous high-end boutiques and shopping centres, perfect for those seeking the security of fixed-price shopping over the frenetic haggling in the souks. Truly dedicated shopaholics also add Quartier Industrial Sidi Ghanem to their bucket list.
Pattern mix extrem #topolinashop #vintageparadise #marrakech #inlovewithpatterns
A post shared by Nicole La Belle (@justbe_inthemoment) on Dec 29, 2016 at 1:09pm PST
About Quartier Industrial Sidi Ghanem
Sidi Ghanem is the industrial heart of Marrakesh. It is also a magnet for designers, both local and foreign. Artists and craftspeople work hard within their concrete workshops and many goods are produced for export. Visitors can see how items are made, browse the diverse stores and showrooms, and take a break in one of the area’s charming restaurants or cafés. Large warehouses and factories are spread through the area too. While it certainly isn’t the most photogenic of places in the Red City, Sidi Ghanem is, nevertheless, a great place for shopping.
Thème Mykonos by Djeann. #jeans #handmade #recycle #marrakech
A post shared by Anne Bénédicte Dorbe Vincent (@tapis_djeann) on Dec 29, 2016 at 8:51am PST
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Where to shop in Sidi Ghanem
The shops and boutiques sell an array of locally made, modern goods, generally produced to a high standard. Textiles, furnishings, decorative objects, and clothing are among the items you’ll find here.
Items for the home
Akkal specialises in hand-made pottery with minimalist designs. Loun is another top shop for pottery and ceramics. Keros offers a wide range of room scents to keep any home or hotel smelling great. Nihal stocks beautiful woven items, including cushion covers, slippers, curtains, and wall hangings.
Magasin Generale is a favourite outlet for those looking for chic and stylish furnishings, while Amira’s candles add the finishing touches to any elegant room. The large Maison Fenyadi stocks a large choice of homewares, from tableware and candles to towels and bedding.
Stuff stuff stuff | #casabeldi
A post shared by Selma Khamlichi (@selmakham) on Jan 7, 2017 at 11:58am PST
Modern fashion for both men and women can be found at Salima Abdel Wahab. Items are made using traditional Moroccan materials, with modern twists when it comes to the designs. Topolina is another great choice for people who want to make a statement with their trendy garments.
A post shared by Amine (@amine) on Apr 23, 2016 at 9:38am PDT
Looking for a great gift for a child? Head to Zid Zid Kids. Natus is a prime spot for some TLC for the hair and body. Selling natural cosmetics, body products, and hair treatments, Argan oil products are especially sought after.
Always getting inspired by Moroccan lamps #artwork #light #artist #nofilter #travelgram
A post shared by Four Seasons Resort Marrakech (@fsmarrakech) on May 17, 2016 at 11:18am PDT
Tips for visiting Sidi Ghanem
Located a short drive (around five kilometres) from the heart of Marrakesh, Sidi Ghanem is easily reached by taxi. Agree on a round-trip price before setting off.
Many shops and workrooms are closed over the weekend and on Friday afternoons. While each individual store has its own opening hours, you’ll generally find most places open if you visit Monday to Thursday, between 10AM and 4PM.
Most shops have fixed prices for goods, and haggling isn’t expected or welcomed. If you are buying a lot of items, however, it is well worth asking politely about the possibility of a bulk discount. Do be aware that because many pieces are made for export, the prices can be higher than elsewhere around the city.
Find a showroom that offers free maps of the district to make navigating your way around a bit easier.
Monday shopping 🎈#marrakech
A post shared by Rania K. (@raniakbl) on Apr 18, 2016 at 6:14am PDT
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.