From the 1,001 nights feel of Marrakech to the endless beauty of the Sahara Desert and the little oases in between, romance is all around in this north African kingdom. And when it comes to sleeping, centuries-old palaces turned into boutique hotels await travellers in the heart of the old cities throughout Morocco, while luxury tents are erected in the most beautiful desert landscapes. Here we share tips on where to go, whether it’s a romantic getaway, a mini-moon or a full honeymoon in Morocco.
A stay in a luxury desert camp surrounded by the deafening silence of the vast Sahara Desert and the starry nights makes this a romantic destination and a must-see in Morocco. Despite staying in the most luxurious of camps, electric lights are replaced with moody candles and lighting as the sun sets. The restricted electricity also means no wifi or internet access for a disconnected stay.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The city of 1,001 nights, Marrakech turns up its magic when it comes to couples’ travel. Mysterious alleyways for wandering, colorful souks for shopping and admiring, vibrant squares including the Place des Epices and the famous Jemaa el Fna as night falls make the city intriguing day and night. Romantic hammams, dinners in centuries-old palaces and a stay in a romantic and modern riad are just some of the highlights of couples’ stays in Marrakech.
The little blue village in northern Morocco has seen a boom in tourism in recent years and for just cause. The winding alleyways where all buildings within the old medina are painted blue and set against the Rif Mountains soaring in the background, make every turn picture perfect. And the cooler temperatures make curling up next to the fire in the riad the perfect ending to a day. Be sure to plan a day trip to the nearby God’s Bridge for fabulous views and stunning scenery.
Little Berber villages dot the mountainside while the snow-capped Atlas Mountains provide 360-degree breathtaking views, proving that there is nothing more romantic than a mountain getaway. Spend a morning hiking through the lush valleys with a picnic en route, and a mint tea upon return as a reward for your efforts.
This is the ideal destination for foodies, where restaurants are cozy and intimate while serving up some of the finest modern Moroccan cuisine. Then as the sun sets, head to one of the beach restaurants or rooftop terraces in the medina for drinks as the sun lights up the sky in various shades of orange, red and purple over the Atlantic Ocean.
The historic city of Fes is home to some of the most elegant riads demonstrating the finest Moroccan craftsmanship – beautiful tilework, intricately-carved cedarwood, delicately-engraved stucco. But for those who want a more modern stay, hotels abound offering exceptional spa treatments and modern conveniences. With the old city filled with history and thousands of tiny alleyways, stops at the Koranic schools and workshops make for a step back in time.
Easily accessible by budget airlines for a weekend getaway, Rabat – the capital of Morocco – is quickly becoming a cultural hotspot. The recently opened Mohammed VI Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art hosts intriguing exhibits and a comprehensive permanent collection, art lovers can easily spend a morning here. Then head over to the romantic Andalusian Gardens in the Kasbah of the old city and enjoy a cup of mint tea overlooking the river.
Known as ‘Little Marrakech’, Taroudant sees few visitors despite a growing number of impressive boutique hotels popping up. A horse-and-carriage ride around the old city is a lovely way to spend an hour or two before sampling some of the regional cuisine.
Just 45 minutes from Marrakech, the Agafay Desert is perfect for couples wanting to escape the hustle and bustle of Marrakech without the distance required to reach the Sahara Desert. Quiet and serene, the Atlas Mountains loom over this rock desert where the silence is golden and dinner under the stars before curling up in a luxury tent for the night is divine.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.