No trip is complete to Lima without seeing the colorful, bohemian district of Barranco. Sandwiched between Chorrillos and Miraflores, it can sometimes get overlooked in Lima’s chaotic landscape; we’ve got the guide to getting the most out of Barranco, even if you only have one day.
Start with coffee
Though this is probably how you start every day, it won’t seem very ordinary after you’ve had coffee from Tostaduria Bisetti. This café serves fresh Peruvian coffee, straight from the farm to your cup. You’ll taste some of the best coffee you’ve ever had and the café is easy to get to, located just outside the neighborhood’s main plaza, a couple of shops down from the Starbucks.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tostaduria Bisetti, Pedro de Osma 116, Barranco, Peru, +51 1 7139565
After you’ve had your coffee, you’re going to feel energized and ready to tackle the day. Channel that energy into a walking tour of Barranco. The walking tours are free, though they accept tips, and will give you a better understanding of Barranco and its famous street art. The tour will also recommend some of Barranco’s best independent art galleries for you to check out.
Barranco is home to some of Lima’s best restaurants, like Canta Rana and Isolina, which was actually ranked on the list of best restaurants in Latin America. There are also local classics like Juanito de Barranco, which serves sandwiches and delicious handmade pisco sours. If it’s your only day in Lima, make sure to eat some fresh ceviche from El Muelle or any of the other cevicherias near the plaza.
Explore the art scene
Barranco is known as the bohemian capital of Lima, so while you’re in the neighborhood you need to explore some of the art galleries that give it its reputation. The most famous gallery in Barranco is Mario Testino’s MATE museum, which features his photography along with other artists’ work. You’ll be able to spend all day checking out Barranco’s local art scene.
Museo MATE, Avenida Pedro de Osma 409, Barranco, Peru, +51 1 2005400
The Bridge of Sighs
As the sun begins to set on Lima, make your way to El Puente de los Suspiros, Lima’s most romantic location. It’s a great place to watch local artists and enjoy the beauty of the little neighborhood of Barranco. Near the bridge, you’ll also find some of Lima’s best picarones, which are like Peruvian donuts made out of sweet potatoes and smothered in syrup.
Barranco rivals Miraflores as the best place to go out in Lima. In Barranco, you’ll find clubs, discotecas and live music within walking distance from each other. A can’t-miss bar is Ayahuasca, which makes some of the best cocktails in an old colonial mansion. You can also grab a bite to eat there before heading to the clubs.
Ayahuasca, Avenida San Martin 130, Barranco, Peru, +51 1 2476751
If you’re looking to get a little crazy in your brief time in Lima, head to El Dragón after your cocktail hour. Known as one of the best clubs in Peru’s capital, it’s always hosting a party and, occasionally, a live music show put on by a local band. If El Dragón doesn’t suit you, head to the street off the main plaza where all the music is coming from—lined with clubs, you’ll have plenty to choose from. Just make sure to bargain with the club’s bouncer so you can get a deal on the cover charge (if there is one).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.