After spending some time in Lima, you may want a little vacation. It is a beautiful city with a lot to enjoy and a rich history, but the quick pace of life and constant snarling traffic mean that even the most ardent Limeño will want a break from their city now and then. Here are some options to clear your head and get some fresh air, leaving you refreshed and recharged when you return.
This is a very cute town about an hour and a half outside of Lima. It is usually used as a stopping ground to catch another bus on your way to the Andes, but the town itself is worth a day trip. It’s a permanent carnival plaza, with vendors lining the streets, offering Peruvian foods and desserts. If you’re traveling with kids, Chosica is a must.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you’re tired from the constant noise and chaos of Lima, escape to the little fishing village of Pucusana. You can enjoy the peacefulness of a Peruvian fishing village town and live a slower pace of life for a day. There are also a couple of beaches to head to if the sun is out.
It takes about four hours to get here from Lima, but it is definitely doable. To get here, you’ll have to leave Lima at 5 a.m. to really give yourself time to experience this little oasis in the middle of a desert of seemingly endless hills of sand. You can either lie out by the small body of water, or do some sand surfing.
This is another destination that is a bit of a mission to get to in one day, but it’s definitely worth it. One of the oldest cities in the Americas, Caral is another one of the many ruins from ancient civilizations that are scattered along Peru’s coastline. Take a guided tour of the ruins, which were named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2009.
Cerro San Cristobal
If you get to a high enough location and look to the south of Lima, you’ll notice a large white statue on a barren hill. Hiking to this statue, which overlooks Chorrillos, makes for a great workout, and the view from the top is of all of Lima and more than worth the effort. Once you finish the hike, head to Sonia’s for some of the best ceviche in all of Lima.
Head for Lunahuana early in the morning to give yourself enough time to go white-water rafting. This small town just south of Lima offers you peace and quiet along with adventure. Once you finish on the river, go to a local bar to try some of Peru’s various piscos and wines grown in the surrounding areas. Just west of the town lie the Incahuasi ruins.
You’ll have plenty of time to explore these ruins, which are only about an hour from Lima. The area was first settled around AD 200 and and thrived until the Spanish invaded. The site has many different areas and temples to explore, so having a full day at the site is recommended. So, too, is getting a guide in your language, so that you can better understand what you’re looking at and fully appreciate the site’s history.
Take a boat tour to the islands to explore Peru’s rich marine life. This island is home to a lot of birds and sea lions, and tour groups offer you the chance to swim with seal pups. If you can’t make it to Isla Ballestas, near Pisco, Isla Palomino is the perfect option to get your marine life fix.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.