Lima may be the capital of Peru, but it definitely doesn’t have its best beaches. If you want to get away from the city’s rocky shores and score some sun time on the sand, you’ll have to leave Lima. Here’s our guide to the best beaches near the City of Kings.
Two-and-a-half hours from Lima lies one of the best surf spots in the south of Peru, along with one of its best beaches. There is a left that starts from the rocks and takes surfers right up against a pier, where Peruvians daily catch their fish from. On the other side of the pier is large crescent shaped beach with stands selling fresh fish, cold beers and plenty of snacks. The town still preserves a small-town vibe, to the effect that you won’t find an ATM. If you need to take out some cash, you have to take a bus or combi to Cañete, a 15-minute drive down the highway.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It might be best known for its big wave surfing, but this beach is a hot spot for weekend getaways. Only an hour from Lima it is the closest, most beautiful beach to Peru’s capital. There are expensive hotels, cheaper hostels and everything in between. As the Limeños’ favorite beach, there are plenty of options for everyone to do. While the water can be cold, it’s refreshing on the hot, desert days of Punta Hermosa.
The raw and rugged beauty of Paracas is unrivaled. Its unique coastline seems untouched and inspires reverence. You can hangout on the beaches – there are a couple different ones – and even take a trip to Isla Ballestas, often referred to as the “Poor Man’s Galapagos.” This beach is sure to make to stay you want to stay an unintended two or three more nights.
This beach has become the stomping ground of Lima’s most wealthy inhabitants. Asia is a stretch of beach that has seen massive investments, including luxury apartments and one of the largest malls in Peru. The most popular are Asia beach and San Antonio, and the most popular season is Peru’s winter, December through March.
Pucusana is the first real beach that you’ll find out of the dense fog that swallows Lima for most of the year. It’s a classic Peruvian fishing village with plenty of fresh ceviche restaurants to choose from, but the main draw is probably the beach: a lovely sandy alternative to the rocky beaches of Lima.
This spot has slowly become one of the more popular beaches outside of Lima, with most people choosing to drive to El Silencio instead of going a bit further for Asia. If you don’t want to deal with the pretension and upscale prices of Asia then this is your beach. Be aware that big swells mean the beach can get taken over by waves and make it difficult for little kids to play in the water.
Señoritas is renowned for its consistently good surf and is very popular with those in search of the perfect wave. The beach can get a bit rocky during low tide but that doesn’t concern the surfers, who on a good day will still be out there charging. Like all Peruvian beaches, there is beachside service and plenty of chairs and umbrellas to choose from.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.