Quito is an ideal location from which to explore other areas of Ecuador, a relatively small country. Just hours from the capital, you can check out volcanoes, the cloud forest and the ‘Swing at the End of the World’ in Baños.
Mindo, a tiny town where you can explore the best of the cloud forest in Ecuador, lies only two hours from Quito. It is famous for its butterfly garden where you can feed and see butterflies in all sizes and colours, and if you are there at the right time, you can even watch them hatch.
Mindo is also known for its waterfalls, which are accessible via an easy hike that takes less than three hours. It’s also an excellent place to see Ecuadorian orchids, the Frog Concert, and hummingbirds and taste Ecuadorian chocolate at El Quetzal, which is also a great hostel. Mindo is very safe and is a perfect getaway if you want to stay in a relaxing environment away from cars, noise and pollution.
Baños is three hours south of Quito and has plenty of hostels and hotels in all price ranges. It is most famous for the ‘Swing at the End of The World’, hot springs and waterfalls. It is a great getaway from the capital if you are looking for an adventure and want to have fun with friends. Some of the activities available include zip lining, bungee jumping and cycling.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Baños is also the only place where you can find melcocha, which is a type of hard candy made out of sugar cane. If you walk around the street early in the morning, you can even see street vendors making it.
Another must-do in Baños is to explore the Ruta de las Cascadas and check out the breathtaking Pailon del Diablo, which is reachable via a Chiva (party truck) or by renting a bike. Also, do not forget to check out Casa del Arbol or the previously mentioned ‘Swing at the End of the World’. You can visit from 5:45 am to 6 pm. If you want it all to yourself, it is best to get there first thing in the morning on a weekday.
It’s possible to see both Quilotoa and Cotopaxi in one weekend, but only if you do minimal hiking and stay the night in either Quilotoa or Cotopaxi.
Quilotoa Lagoon is a water-filled caldera and is approximately three hours from Quito. When it’s sunny, the colour of the lake becomes a beautiful turquoise hue. It is an ideal destination if you want to experience something extraordinary; it’s not a tourist trap. You can walk around the lake in approximately five hours, or you can head to the lookout, which takes no more than one hour. It is free to camp down by the lake, but you will need to bring enough food and water. There are also plenty of hostels nearby, including Hostal Princesa Toa.
Otavalo and Cotacachi
Otavalo lies roughly 90 minutes from Quito and is most famous for its handicraft market in the Plaza de Los Ponchos. It is a large and colourful market that is open every day, with the busiest time on Saturdays. The indigenous Otavalo people, who are native to the Andes and speak the Kiwcha language, make all the textiles by hand. If you’re worried about being able to communicate, many of them also know how to speak Spanish and English. You can stay the night in Otavalo in a hostel or a guest house such as El Andariego. It’s also possible to head straight to Cotacachi and stay the night there so that you can be ready for the next day’s activities.
Cotacachi is a 20-minute drive from Otavalo and is a popular town with expats. If you only have time to do one thing here, you should check out the Crater Lake Cuicocha. You can walk around the crater in about five hours. There are also ferries that go to the islands in the crater. You can see Cuicocha in one day and then stay the night at the breathtaking Hotel La Mirage Garden.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.