Colombia is currently enjoying its biggest tourism boom, with millions of foreign visitors having made the trip there last year alone. Travelling to Colombia is always a unique and amazing experience, but these are the 11 reasons why visiting Colombia, aside from being a fun and memorable trip, could change your life forever.
You might never want to leave!
The slogan of Colombia’s tourism board used to be ‘Colombia, the only risk is wanting to stay’, which is one way that a trip to Colombia could definitely change your life forever: once you visit, you might never want to leave! Colombia seems to have a strong impact on travellers (more so than many other countries) and many people end up returning to live there after their first visit. So, be warned: after you visit Colombia, you might just find yourself moving there.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
You’ll never be able to resist a good beat again
It’s no secret that Colombians love a good dance, and with so many unique and diverse genres of music in the country, it’s practically impossible to travel there and not end up dancing a few times. There are very few occasions during which Colombians don’t celebrate with music and dancing, so upon returning back home, you may find that you miss your day-to-day life being soundtracked by a cumbia beat or the accordion-led strains of a vallenato. Make sure to download some classic Colombian music to ease the transition.
Coffee will never be the same again
Once you’ve tasted a fresh cup of coffee, brewed from beans that were picked, dried and roasted in the same spot where you’re standing, that casual pre-work coffee might never be the same again. After taking a tour of a coffee farm, you will definitely never look at a cup of coffee the same way either; you’ll suddenly be able to visualise all the hard work and sweat that went into extracting coffee from an Andean hillside and pouring it into your cup. You might come back from Colombia as a real coffee snob, too.
And neither will chocolate!
Colombia also produces some of the best chocolate in the world, so once you’ve sampled some of the award-winning chocolates from regions like Nariño, Arauca and Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, you may never be able to enjoy a boring old regular chocolate bar at home without pining for a 75% cacao dark chocolate from the Colombian rainforest.
You might discover a passion for nature
As the second most biodiverse country on earth, Colombia is a dream destination for nature lovers. But what if you’ve never considered yourself much of an ecotourist before? Well, Colombia might just awaken a passion for nature within you, as you enjoy spectacular sightings of monkeys, pink river dolphins, sloths, humpback whales, toucans and giant anteaters. Don’t blame Colombia if you come back home as a hardcore birder!
You won’t believe how friendly the people are
Colombians are so welcoming and friendly to visitors that it can even seem a little odd at first: why is a stranger randomly chatting to you on the bus? However, after a bit of time spent in the company of fun and friendly Colombian people, you might struggle when you visit other countries where the people are less welcoming. You’re unlikely to find many people who are kinder and friendlier than Colombians, and you won’t believe how quickly you’ll feel like you’ve lived in the country your whole life. In fact, that might be the best thing about Colombia: it’s full of Colombians!
Fruit back home will be ruined forever
We mean this in a good way—Colombian fruit is so diverse and delicious that after you’ve sampled some of it, a regular apple back home will never taste quite as good again. Once you’ve wandered the aisles of a Colombian market and sampled pitahaya, uchuva, mangostino, guanabana, maracuya, lulo and more, you will forever be pining for a taste of fresh Colombian fruit. Don’t even get us started on the constant supply of fresh avocados.
You might learn to slow down a little
The Colombian approach to time could be called laissez–faire at best. When a Colombian person tells you they are five minutes away, you’d better hope you have a good book to read because they’re actually at least half an hour away! However, as frustrating as this can be at first, you’ll learn to go with the flow and maybe even slow down and relax.
No river will ever measure up after you see Caño Cristales
The ‘most beautiful river in the world’ that ‘escaped from heaven’ is how people describe Caño Cristales. This remarkable multicoloured river in the Macarena National Park is a sight for sore eyes and will surely rank as the most beautiful river you have ever seen.
You’ll never look at street art the same way again
Colombia’s cities are hotbeds of world-class graffiti art, and popular tours have sprung up around street art in cities like Bogotá, Medellín and Cartagena. After taking one—or several—of these tours, you might never see graffiti the same way again. Far from simply dismissing murals or overlooking them, you might end up with a newfound appreciation of the art form.
You will definitely want to come back…
This is the best part about taking a trip to Colombia: once you’ve experienced a bit of the country, you will definitely want to return to see even more of it. There’s so much diversity in the country that it’s impossible to experience even a quarter of what there is in a few weeks of travel, so be prepared to start booking more tickets to Colombia in the future.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.