Making outsiders feel welcome is part of the way of life in Colombia, so it’s no surprise that the country is pitching itself as the most welcoming place on earth. To help plan your future trips to the South American country, we’ve highlighted what you can expect to find in each of the major regions.
With a diverse cultural heritage throughout the country, Colombia has a great blend of languages, people and natural wonders everywhere you look. From the beaches along the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean to the land borders with Brazil, Peru, Ecuador and Venezuela, there’s a lot to choose from when it comes to finding the perfect destination to suit your taste. Here’s a look at what makes this country so special to help you navigate your way through the six regions of Colombia.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Greater Colombian Caribbean
The influence of the Caribbean is prominent here, where the food, music and festivals have a flavor of the islands. The major port of Cartagena is one of the most romantic destinations in the world, ideal if you’re looking for a slightly unexpected couples getaway. Colorful colonial-era streets and the historic castle of Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas should be on the top of your list – as should the Old Town, which is bustling with charm and foodie delights.
Islas del Rosario, a small archipelago that forms part of Cartagena’s island region, is home to the largest coral reef in the Colombian Caribbean. Exotic marine life can be found here, including rays, sea turtles, corals and dolphins which make it a paradise for divers.
Party lovers won’t want to miss a trip to Barranquilla – famous around the world for its Carnival of Barranquilla – where guests can dance to the energetic rhythm of the Spanish paloteo, African congo and the indigenous mico y micas.
The Western Colombian Andes
Into the mountains in the west, you’ll find howling monkeys and colorful birds. Most people will be familiar with the flavors of this region as it produces what many regard as some of the best coffee in the world. The city of Pereira encapsulates the authentic spirit of the coffee region by day and offers lively nightlife after dusk. Pereira is a great mix of modern and traditional – with upcoming artists displaying their latest work in historic buildings.
Just outside the city, you can relax in Los Nevados National Natural Park where visitors can unwind in hot springs – but for the more adventurous traveler, there’s the challenging cycling route up Alto de Letras. It’s one of the toughest ascents in the world and you’ll certainly feel like you’ve earned that coffee break once you’ve tackled it.
The Eastern Colombian Andes
A vivid sign of the rapid growth Colombia has seen recently is found in the capital, Bogotá. The food scene here has attracted amateur cooks and professional chefs from all over the world – it comes as no surprise when the lively markets sell fresh produce of the highest quality.
There’s an emerging entertainment industry in Bogotá too, as creatives have found more outlets for their work – although you can still see some wonderful street art on display. For the best view of the city, you should head up Cerro de Montserrate, a funicular ride away from the city.
If you’re keen to get away from the busy capital then you’re in luck as the surrounding area is full of moors and valleys. These natural landscapes are ideal for wine production and you can check out some extraordinary vineyards which operate in the traditional way.
The Colombian Massif
Delving into the ancestral heart of Colombia, this region is home to peaceful towns like Popayán as well as the imposing statues of San Agustín. Volcanic mountains give Colombian Massif a unique aura where locals still produce textiles using centuries-old methods.
Popayán’s culinary offerings are unparalleled with flavorsome local dishes to make the heart sing. The carantana, aplanchado, tamales, empanadas de pipián, amasijos and the tortilla soup are just some of the city’s most popular dishes. Flavour is key – but it’s the passion of the local cooks that makes for the true culinary delight.
The Colombian Pacific
Nature-lovers should head straight to this coastal region where untouched forests and remote beaches are waiting. The town of Bahía Solano is a little gem where visitors are known to time their stays to coincide with the arrival of humpback whales between July and October every year.
If the juxtaposition of lush forests and pristine beaches seems like an odd one, that’s because it is. Freshwater descends from the Baudó peaks and runs into the Pacific Ocean – creating this outstanding area of natural beauty. Ecotourism is understandably a big focus here and towns like Tumaco and Nuquí are striving to find the balance between popular appeal and conservation. The concept of farm-to-table cuisine is one small way that locals are hoping to preserve their environment.
In the region of Cali, Valle del Cauca is known as the world capital of salsa. Cali is also a great destination to head to if you want to do a bigger trip visiting Bogotá, Medellin and Cartagena as part of a multi-destination tour of Colombia.
The Colombian Amazon
Finally, we get to explore the most extensive tropical rainforest in the world. The Amazon river also passes through Peru and Brazil – as well as Colombia – with many tours starting in Leticia. The largest city in the region isn’t particularly well known, but serves as the perfect base if you’re looking to explore the wilder side of Colombia.
There aren’t many roads here so getting around will require some local expertise. Thankfully, people have learnt to live at one with nature and you’ll understand why Colombia is the most biodiverse country per square mile in the world.
Today, you can take part in other activities in the Amazon – such as zip-lining and canoeing – but you can also see a traditional way of travel that has been preserved for centuries.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.