Caño Cristales in the Colombian National Park of La Macarena has been called the most beautiful river in the world, and the river than escaped from heaven, because of its incredible red colour. It is one of Colombia’s most unique and exciting tourist attractions and is well worth a visit if you have the time and money. Here are 10 things to bear in mind before you visit.
You can only experience the famous red river at certain times
Be aware, before you start dreaming of a visit to the most beautiful river in the world, that the red algae that gives the river its famous colours only flowers at certain times of the year. Most agencies suggest that you can see the river in its amazing red state between late May and late November, but the peak time is between July and October. So if you want to see Caño Cristales in all its glory, make sure to book a tour at this time.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There’s a lot more to a Caño Cristales tour than just the river
In spite of that, there is a lot more to see and do on a tour to Caño Cristales than just seeing the red river. The river itself is located alongside the huge La Macarena National Park, which is a vast area home to savannahs, incredible rock formations, jungles and bird and mammal watching. Most tours last three to four days and take in a variety of sights.
It ispossible to visit independently
While the majority of people travel to Caño Cristales with a tour agency on a package trip, some make the journey independently. You can book flights to La Macarena from either Bogotá or Villavicencio (or take the little-used overland route via San Vicente del Caguan, if you’re feeling adventurous), and there are several basic hotels in the town which you can use as your base for visiting the river.
You cannot visit the red river without a licensed guide
Having said that you can visit the area independently (without an agency go-between), it is also important to note that you cannot visit the river itself without being accompanied by a licensed tour guide. There are guides to be found in the town, but you will need to apply for a permit to visit the park from the National Parks Office in advance, and there are limited numbers per day and they are mostly granted to agencies. Visiting Caño Cristales independently is possible, but it’s a bit of a hassle.
Bring plenty of cash with you
There is only one ATM in La Macarena, and it’s entirely possible that it will be out of commission during the time you spend in the tiny jungle town. So bring all the cash you need with you just to be sure that you can pay your guides and hotel bills, and pick up any souvenirs you might want.
You cannot swim with sun cream or bug spray
Be warned: if you are planning to visit the rivers around Caño Cristales and wish to swim in any of the designated swimming areas (you are not allowed to swim in areas with algae, in order to conserve the delicate species), you are not permitted to apply sun cream or bug spray before doing so. Why? The algae is incredibly sensitive and the chemicals contained in these products could damage it. If you are sensitive to the sun, pack a T-shirt to swim in.
You’ll need your yellow fever vaccination
Opinion is divided on whether you need a yellow fever vaccination certificate in order to fly into La Macarena airport (the entry point for a visit to the park). Some people claim they were not asked to show it, while some claim they were. It’s better to be safe than sorry, so get the jab and pack your certificate. And who wants to have yellow fever anyway?
Be prepared for ecotourism
La Macarena National Park is a stunningly biodiverse place, so make sure you are prepared for that. Pack binoculars if you have them (the park is home to well over 400 bird species), and a good camera for photographing wildlife (another warning: trying to snap a photo of a pink river dolphin is really hard!). Also include good hiking shoes and comfy outdoor clothing in your suitcase.
The river isn’t always as beautiful as in the photos
While we wouldn’t want to suggest that Caño Cristales is anything other than beautiful, it’s important to be aware that the beauty of the red river is strongly impacted by weather and climate conditions. Drought is common and can kill off parts of the algae, making the river appear less red, while cloudy days tend to dull the brilliance of the colours.
Caño Cristales is a once-in-a-lifetime experience
Having said that, Caño Cristales is a truly unbelievable place, and one which seems to confirm Colombia’s reputation as the land of magical realism. You may never see a more beautiful river in your life, and the experience of visiting the rainbow river and its surroundings is something you will never forget.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.