Colombia’s Amazon jungles are vast and barely explored: they cover a huge swathe of the country, yet most travelers are only familiar with the city of Leticia, Colombia’s southernmost point on the border with Peru and Brazil. However, there are many more amazing Amazonian destinations to explore in Colombia, so here are 10 things to see and do off-the-beaten-track in the Colombian Amazon.
Cerro Azul Rock Paintings
In the jungles surrounding the Amazon frontier city of San Jose del Guaviare, there are several remarkable archaeological sites preserving ancient Indigenous rock paintings, some dating back 10,000 years. The best of these sites is Cerro Azul, an impressive rocky hill jutting out of the forest, where the walls are covered in blood-red rock art depicting ancient symbols, birds, animals and even people.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Chiribiquete National Park
Chiribiquete National Park is the real-life Lost World: a vast swathe of jungle, punctuated by giant rocky hills, and surrounded by sinuous rivers and huge rapids. It is said to even shelter Indigenous peoples who remain uncontacted by the outside world. There is no land access to this forgotten paradise, but it is possible to arrange tours to fly over Chiribiquete: it’s very expensive, but if you have the funds then it’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance to glimpse a true Lost World.
The Mavecure Hills
Guainia department, on the eastern border with Venezuela, is about as off-the-beaten-track as it gets in Colombian Amazon travel, but it is home to one of the most spectacular natural wonders in the country: the Mavecure Hills, or Cerros de Mavecure. These giant rocky hills are remnants of the Guiana Shield, some of the oldest rocks on the planets, and climbing them at dawn to watch the sun rise over the jungle is a magical experience.
Rafting in Caqueta
Caqueta department is a region that has suffered from a huge lack of tourism due to its dangerous reputation but, thankfully, this has changed a great deal and the region is opening up to tourism like never before. There are many great activities to enjoy around the departmental capital of Florencia, but white-water rafting on the Orteguaza River – while exploring the surrounding jungle for waterfalls and petroglyphs – is an amazing Amazonian experience.
Fin del Mundo Waterfall in Mocoa
Mocoa is another city on the frontier of the Andes and the Amazon, making it easily accessible for anyone who wants to experience some of Colombia’s jungle without having to take any flights. It’s a small city, surrounded by rivers and impressive waterfalls, but the most impressive of the lot are the Fin del Mundo waterfalls, a series of smaller waterfalls, culminating in a mighty 80 m cascade into the jungle below.
Birding in Mitu
Mitu is the capital of Vaupes department, which is possibly the least visited region of Colombia: you can only access Mitu by plane, and it has an isolated, cut-off vibe as a result. However, the birdwatching around Mitu is the stuff of legend among Colombian birders, and avian enthusiasts will be in jungle heaven attempting to spot species such as the Fiery Topaz, Brown-banded Puffbird, Imeri Warbling-Antbird, Pavonine Quetzal and the stunning Guianan cock-of-the-rock.
Swim with Pink Dolphins in Damas del Nare Lake
Pink River Dolphins are about the craziest, coolest animal you could hope to encounter on a trip to the Amazon, and at this isolated lake in Guaviare department you can swim with wild Pink Dolphins that have become remarkably relaxed around people (the local community on the edge of the lake even have names for them!). They will swim up and bump against your feet and even mess around and tug on the bow line of the boat! It’s a surreal, one-off experience that you’ll never forget.
The ‘other’ Cano Cristales
The famous red river of Cano Cristales in Meta department might not be the most visited spot in Colombia, but you could hardly accuse it of being unknown or off-the-beaten-track. However, just outside San Jose del Guaviare is another river with the same incredible red algae, making it like the little brother of Cano Cristales.
The Jirijirimo Rapids in Vaupes
These mighty rapids on the Apaporis River in the south of Vaupes department are often described as the greatest hidden wonder in the whole of Colombia, which is saying something. However, when you see photos and videos of the incredible, tumultuous spectacle, it’s hard to argue with that description. You’ll need to arrange a tour to visit Jirijirimo, but it might well end up being your fondest Colombian travel memory.
Araracuara – try saying it three times fast! – is an isolated village on the frontier of Caqueta and Amazonas departments, and is so isolated that it was once a prison for maximum security inmates (they didn’t even bother locking them up, such was the impossibility of escape). However, it is home to incredible biodiversity, the stunning Araracuara Canyon and rapids, and some of the most isolated communities in the Colombian Amazon. Many tours even combine a visit with a flight over the nearby Chiribiquete National Park.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.