Colombians definitely have a sweet tooth, so prepare yourself to sample some delicious – if not especially healthy – desserts on your visit to the country. From tasty rice pudding dishes to incredible cakes, here are the top 10 Colombian desserts that you have to try on your next trip.
Arroz con Leche
A Colombian version of rice pudding, Arroz con Leche is easily one of Colombia’s tastiest and most enjoyable desserts. Easy to prepare, and found throughout the country, it’s especially good served with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Postre de Natas
One of Colombia’s most popular and beloved desserts, Postre de Natas is originally from the Andean region of Colombia. It is made by boiling milk several times, and taking the foam that forms when it boils, then mixing that foam with syrup, eggs, raisins, and sometimes even rum.
An oblea is a thin wafer that is often sold as a sweet snack at street stalls. Generally offered with arequipe in the middle of two wafers, an oblea can also come with jam, condensed milk, and many other sweet sauces and fillings. One way that you know they’re good: Mick Jagger ate one on his trip to Colombia with the Rolling Stones.
A Cholado – sometimes known as a Raspao – is a sweet, icy drink typical of the Valle del Cauca region of Colombia. A hearty mix of shaved or crushed ice, mixed with fruit, condensed milk and sweet sauces, and often topped with whipped cream, a Cholado is a perfect dessert for a hot day.
Translating as ‘a thousand leaves’, Milhojas are a favourite all over Latin America and especially beloved in Colombia. Made with multiple stacked layers of fresh puff pastry, then filled with a mix of condensed milk, sugar, and vanilla, Milhojas are usually available at any bakery should you fancy a delicious, sweet snack.
Salpicón de Frutas
Essentially a Colombian fruit salad, a Salpicón de Frutas is basically a bunch of chopped fresh fruits mixed with a Colombian soda and often topped with cream or condensed milk. They are usually sold on the street, especially in the morning when many people enjoy them as a breakfast snack.
Cuajada con Melao
A traditional dessert from the eastern Colombian Andes, with roots going back all the way to the Spanish conquest, Cuajada con Melao is basically curd served with sugar cane syrup. It might sound like an unusual combination, but the mixture of the smooth, white cheese and the sweet sugar cane syrup works perfectly to create a truly tasty dessert.
A traditional Colombian Christmas dessert, Natilla is one of the things that you are guaranteed to find on any Colombian family’s Christmas table. A sweet custard dessert, Natilla is often sprinkled with cinnamon and served alongside cheesy bread snacks known as Bunuelos.
Merengón is a traditional Colombian meringue dessert, which is usually served with tasty fresh fruit. Filled with whipped cream, and made up of layers and layers of lovely, crunchy meringue, the most popular fruit fillings for Merengón are guanabana, strawberries, peaches, or mora (a type of Colombian blackberry).
Torta de Tres Leches
Essentially a delicious ‘Three Milk Cake’, a Torta de Tres Leches can be prepared in a variety of different ways, utilising many different ingredients, with the common factor being that it’s always delicious! Popular at birthdays and family celebrations, there’s no better way to show someone that you love them in Colombia than with a giant Tres Leches cake.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.