Rio de Janeiro is not short of shopping opportunities, but in such a huge city it can be hard to know which places offer both haute couture and pristine service. For an afternoon of pure indulgence among some of the world’s best brands, here are some of the best spots in Rio de Janeiro for luxury shopping.
Rub shoulders among Rio’s boho elite on Rua Visconde da Piraja street, where quirky boutiques reel in passersby as effortlessly as the big players. The vibe here is beach-chic with plenty of bikinis and after-hours clothes tailored for casual nights while keeping cool in the balmy Rio evenings. For pure sophistication, Rua Garcia ‘Dávila street is worth a stroll down with brands such as Louis Vuitton and Lenny Niemeyer (a Brazilian swimwear line) setting the standards.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The wealthiest neighborhood in Rio is unsurprisingly the home to the rich and the famous. Take a wander down Avenida Ataulfo de Paiva and check out the variety of unique luxury boutiques and upscale restaurants and cafes. Many of Brazil’s best fashion labels set up their flagship stores on Leblon’s high street and it provides a great opportunity to get to know the fashion scene in Rio. The level of quality in Leblon is high, making it perfect to pick up some timeless pieces. The Shopping Leblon mall is also worth browsing around for international and local luxury brands and upscale restaurants. After shopping, head to Confeitaria Kurt on Rua General Urquiza street for a pick-me-up espresso and an indulgent homemade cake.
The home of the bikini, Rio de Janeiro is not short of exquisite luxury brands. For both male and female swimwear, head to Blue Man on Rua Visconde da Piraja in Ipanema for unique prints. The pieces are flattering and the brand itself has become a national icon. For pure sophistication and luxury, there is no other brand quite like Lenny Niemeyer in Brazil which designs high-quality bikinis and one-pieces that blend subtle prints with true class. There is a Lenny Niemeyer store on Av. Ataulfo de Paiva in Leblon. Casa Bromelia Swimwear is a local online label from Rio that takes inspiration from Rio’s stunning surroundings to design tropical, colourful prints that reflect the city’s vibrant nature. The result is a collection of gorgeous bikinis and striking one-pieces that can be teamed with shorts or flowing trousers for a glamorous night out.
Brazil has several wonderful luxury brands that distinguish themselves from global competition by drawing from the quirks and uniqueness of Brazil. When in Rio, here are some brands worth checking out.
L’Occitane au Bresil
The French brand set up an exclusive Brazilian sideline to produce incredible beauty products inspired by the Amazon. The beauty line has everything you could possibly want to make your skin feel soft, keeping your body smelling gorgeous and feeling great. To browse through the collection, head to Shopping Gavea and visit their well-stocked store.
Founded in Brazil in 1945, H.Stern is still owned by the same Brazilian family that originally opened it. A hallmark for jewellery standards worldwide, H.Stern has over 280 stores across 32 countries around the globe. The company headquarters are based in Rio de Janeiro and one of its most famous stores in the city is on Rua Garcia ‘Dávila in Ipanema. It has successfully carved itself out to be a luxury brand by lending its finest pieces to celebrities to enhance its image.
Another upscale brand located on the renowned Rua Garcia ‘Dávila street in Ipanema, Chocolate Q redefines chocolate with its organic range that uses pure, natural ingredients from the Amazon. The taste is smooth, rich and proves that 100% natural has never tasted so good. The shapes of the chocolates are inspired by the works of Brazil’s most famous architect, Oscar Niemeyer. They make a great gift to take home or simply a treat for yourself.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.