Shopping malls in Brazil are more than just a convenient place to buy everything under one roof; they are social hubs where people meet to catch up with friends, have dinner out, drink wine and watch the latest films. Rio de Janeiro has plenty of shopping malls to choose from ranging from cheaper options to extreme luxury. We round-up some of the best shopping malls across the city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
New York City Center
Located in shopping mall central, Barra da Tijuca, Shopping New York City Center is easily identified with its large statue of liberty right outside. It appears deceivingly small on first impressions but the entrance just has restaurants and a couple of small shops. Pass through that and you enter the huge main shopping mall. Its cinema alone has 18 rooms and has hundreds of shops, restaurants and leisure areas. It’s big, it’s bold and it has everything. Just make sure you wear comfortable shoes because there is unavoidably a lot of walking around.
Shopping Nova America
Shopping Nova America is a huge mall in the north zone of the city. The layout inside is like it was designed by a Penrose stairs lover with random escalators, sudden new floors and plenty of twists and turns. It’s easy to spend hours in this mall purely from getting lost! However, that wouldn’t be a bad thing as with plenty of shops with reasonably priced items, it’s an easy way to have a splurge without feeling the guilt. There’s also a cinema to catch the latest flicks and a large dining hall. One wonderful addition here is ‘Rua do Rio’, an artificially built street leading from the mall that has rows of bars and restaurants, perfect to relax, drink and be merry.
Shopping Tijuca takes its name from the neighborhood it’s located in, in the north of Rio. Its smaller than some of its larger counterparts but that is not a bad thing; everything is easy to locate and doesn’t have large walking sessions between each shop. Shops are mostly cheaper with old classics such as C&A and its Brazilian rival Renner, to mid-rangers such as Oh, Boy and Eclectic. It’s totally normal to go out for dinner in a shopping mall in Brazil and one of the most popular eating points at this mall is Outback, an Australian-themed restaurant famous for its burgers, steaks and deep-fried onions and large, super-cold beers.
Shopping Rio Sul
Near to Botafogo in the south of the city, Shopping Rio Sul is a large mall that will fulfill all your shopping needs and more with its 140 different shops and 21 restaurants. It has a wide range of national and international brands such as Havaianas, Zara and more recently Forever 21 with the majority of the shops priced around the mid-range mark. With white marble floors and polished silver furnishings, the layout is clean and logical with handy touchscreen aids dotted around to help you locate shops. To eat, try the Delirio Tropical for fresh salads and pasta dishes. The queue always looks daunting but it goes down pretty quickly.
Shopping Leblon matches the style of its surrounding upmarket neighborhood Leblon with a luxury design and expensive stores with plenty of international brands. The shops range from mid-price up to high-range with stores such as Dolce & Gabbana, Burberry, and Diesel. Some Brazilian brands worth checking out there are Animale, with its sophisticated yet funky style, and Farm, which has youthful, cool designs. Like any other shopping mall in Rio, it has a cinema and a wide range of excellent restaurants and places for snacks. One that stands out is Bacio di Latte, a local ice cream parlor that does freshly made ice cream with pure, natural ingredients. For those hot summer days, it’s perfect.
Shopping Village Mall
Cinema, Shopping Mall
This is the crown jewels of the shopping mall world and is nothing short of pure luxury. With big names such as Hugo Boss and Gucci, it’s popular with the rich and famous with many Brazilian celebrities papped shopping here. Its exclusivity to the rich market limits the number of people who go there keeping the shopping mall peaceful and never crowded. The leisure area outside is a large wooden patio that stretches out with low, comfortable seating and breath-taking views across Barra and the mountainous skyline. The cinema here has ‘couple sofas’ that stretch out like a huge bed bringing the ultimate cinema experience. Strangely enough, despite everything else being wallet-busting, the cinema is surprisingly affordable.
Located in Recreio where this shopping mall gets its name, Shopping Recreio is a large shopping mall with cheaper to mid-range shops with many Brazilian brands and some international brands such as Nike. There’s a kids play area where tired parents can drop off their kids in a safe and fun environment, and there’re also a few salons where it’s cheap to get a hair cut, wax or nails painted in between shopping sprees. There are a few restaurants with the most popular being Balada Mix which serves fresh and healthy meals, and also the legendary Outback where waiting lines are common.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.