Two of Rio de Janeiro’s trendiest and upscale neighborhoods unsurprisingly harbor the best shopping spots within the city. Tucked in between the one way roads are some of the best streets and malls for upmarket shopping where a blow out is far more common than bargain hunting, yet the quality and style of clothing is unbeatable. We take to the streets to discover Ipanema‘s and Leblon’s best shopping areas.
Rua Garcia d’Aliva – Ipanema
Rua Garcia d’Aliva is strongly associated to quality and wealth, as is reflected in the brands on the street and the extortionate rental prices. Here, there’s a concentration of the best in shopping and restaurants, especially in the jewelry market. H.Stern, Amsterdam Sauer, and Brazilian brand Antonio Bernando are three of the main stores for stunning jewels. There are also several major fashion brands such as Louis Vuitton and fantastic restaurants such as Venga, a delicious and cozy Spanish tapas spot. A particularly wonderful shop is Aquim, a family owned chocolatier that sells chocolate made using only Brazilian cocoa. There are no artificial flavors or essences with its Q bars. They’re made simply from cocoa mass, cocoa butter and a tiny bit of sugar. What makes it even more special is that Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer designed the shape of the chocolates.
Rua Maria Quiteria – Ipanema
Rua Maria Quiteria is the main street in Ipanema for the big, national brand names. For streetwear there’s Redley, an outlet that’s dressing the youth throughout Ipanema and Leblon. Forum provides the best jeans whereas Shop 126 stocks contemporary and trendy styles for women. Brazilian Soul is great for modern, edgy pieces, Richards is the spot for more traditional and sophisticated cuts and HomeGrown is the place to go for alternative and skater clothing for both men and women. For a delicious caipirinha and hearty good food after a day of shopping, try Barthodomeu.
Hippie Market – Ipanema
The Hippie Fair in Ipanema is one of the few places within the neighborhood where you can actually pick up some bargains and get unique and individual pieces. The market attracts dozens of stalls each Sunday that set up camp for the day displaying their offerings to the hundreds of tourists and locals that stop by. There are so many great products to buy here including clothes, leather bags, hand-carved wooden furniture, jewelry, paintings, shoes and ornaments, making it the ideal place to get souvenirs or some pieces to wear that you won’t find anywhere else.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Rua Visconde de Piraja – Ipanema
This long avenue that runs from the beginning of Ipanema to Leblon is filled with wonderful shops and beautiful brands. The commercial center called Forum de Ipanema is the best spot for swimwear with Brazilian brands such as Blue Man, Salinas, Lenny and BumBum. These are the best stores in Rio to blend in with the crowd and buy the bikinis and trunks that are so famous on the Brazilian beaches. There are also some fashion stores that stock trendy and stylish clothes that you’ll wish were on the high streets outside of Brazil, such as Farm and Gilson Martins. The best plan of shopping action is to start at the General Osorio square and make your way to the very end to appreciate everything on offer on Rua Visconde de Piraja.
Avenida Ataulfo de Paiva – Leblon
If the shops in Ipanema are upscale, then Leblon somehow takes that to another level. All along Avenida Ataulfo de Paiva are wonderful boutiques with modern and trendy clothes, bringing a concentration of incredible pieces that are truly one-of-a-kind. For those of you looking to escape the baking hot sun but still want to enjoy a shopping spree, head to Rio Design Leblon. This shopping mall is on Avenida Ataulfo de Paiva and houses some of the best in national designer brands such as Maria Filo, Lenny Niemeyer, Farm, FYI, Animale and Osklen.
Shopping Leblon – Leblon
Shopping Leblon on Avenida Afranio de Melo Franco is a mid to high-end shopping mall of modern, scented shops and delicious restaurants. The shopping center is spacious and creates a wonderful environment for shopping; just be prepared for a serious shopping spree as everything here is far from budget friendly yet irresistibly beautiful and of the highest quality. There’s a strong mix of international brands such as Calvin Klein, Dolce & Gabbana, Diesel and Zara as well as national brands such as Farm and Animale.
By Sarah Brown
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.