The Brazilian fio dental (a thong-style bikini, literally translating to dental floss) captured the fashion world’s attention and made Brazil famous for its beach attire. The oft-heard phrase, when in Rome, here rings true: when in Rio, buying a bikini is a must. As expected from this famous coastal city, Rio has plenty of bikini stores. Culture Trip looks at where to buy yours – from tiny thongs local-style to the less revealing!
High-end Lenny Niemeyer is one of the best and well-known bikini brands in Brazil with styles that are inspired by the patterns of nature. There is a huge range of styles, from one-pieces and skimpy bikinis to high-necked tops and high-waisted bottoms. If you want to move away from the thong bottoms, there are slightly larger bikini bottom styles here but be aware – they are still considerable smaller than standard European and American styles.
While hovering in the upscale brand region, BumBum is considerable more reasonable price-wise than Lenny Niemeyer, and also stocks beautifully flattering pieces and styles. Here, there are less revealing options as well as plenty of the string-thong look. The secret to wearing the thong bikini is to wear it high over the hips to produce a shapely outline and emphasize your curves. BumBum has wonderful patterns, prints and plain-color options available.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Areia Carioca stocks fashionable, high-quality bikinis at reasonable prices with beautiful patterns that are inspired by the nature and vibe of Rio de Janeiro. Colors are bright and vibrant without being garish and the patterns are flattering for all skin tones and shapes. The high-waisted style is a popular trend at the moment as are the high-necked styles, both of which this brand has been quick to get in stock.
Upscale Blue Man is one of Rio’s most popular brands for its appealing styles, fashionable cuts and high quality. Although swimwear here is a bit on the pricey side, there is something for everyone from concealing yet flattering one-pieces to more dare-to-bare bikinis. The vintage high-waisted look hasn’t gone unnoticed by Blue Man either, with plenty of cute and trendy pieces in stock.
In Arpoador, there is a mini shopping gallery with just a few shops that specialize in all things beach, skate and surf related, including bikinis. The bikinis here are typically Brazilian style, yet the thong bottoms are a bit bigger than the string style and arguably more fashionable. The patterns and colors of the bikinis reflect a laid-back, hippie, surfer style and are preferred by the young, trendy crowd.
Salinas is another immensely popular bikini brand, known for its flattering cuts and emphasis on current fashion trends. The patterns are nature-inspired with wonderful color combinations. The bikinis are expensive yet the high quality makes them an investment. They stock varying styles of bikini bottoms from the string-thin thongs to slightly bigger, curvy designs, as well as high-waisted options.
The beach isn’t a brand, it is literally the place. Buying bikinis on the beach is one of the easiest, most popular and cost-effective ways of stocking up on a new bikini. The bottoms are typically thong style yet range from the thinnest to the widest thongs available. The bikini tops come in all different styles and in various colors and patterns. Look out for the beach vendors that wander up and down the sand with large umbrellas and bikinis hanging off the sides. Prices are budget-friendly and the best beaches to find a bikini are Copacabana and Ipanema.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.