After the massive dumpster fire that was Fyre Festival, the Bahamas retreat that drew comparisons to a “refugee camp” and The Hunger Games, a certain skepticism is necessary when examining Starfest: a rookie festival set to take place in North Texas that offers a $15,000 (seriously) “VIP Universe” package.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Announced earlier in August, Starfest has engaged in suspicious activities and faced a variety of setbacks that have onlookers doubting the two-day celebration will ever come to fruition. Let’s quickly run through the bizarre series of events that have defined Starfest’s short life thus far:
Co-founder David Taylor announces Starfest, scheduled for Sept. 8 and 9 in Plano, TX. The festival promises 60 acts will perform across two days on two stages. Described as a “pop-up concert,” Starfest plans to keep its full lineup secret until the event weekend, which is just crazy. While a few acts like Lil Wayne, Flo Rida, Machine Gun Kelly, Hunter Hayes, and DJ Carnage were revealed, some have since disappeared from the event’s website without comment. In fact, their whole website seems to be in a state of disarray, including two different homepages (version 1 and version 2).
Adding further confusion to the festival’s lineup was this Craigslist ad seeking volunteers for the event, promising performances from “Imagine Dragons, 2 Chainz, Lil Wayne, Steve Aoki, Sam Hunt, Thomas Rhett and many more.” As noted by GuideLive, 2 Chainz is on tour in Ohio and Maryland during the scheduled dates of the festival.
On Aug. 17, the Dallas-Fort Worth NBC station reported that the city of Plano had severed its ties with Starfest, citing a violation of terms of agreement as the reason behind the contract termination. However, by the next day, Starfest had announced Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie as its new location.
But the victory was shortlived, because, as reported by Dallas Observer, Starfest was once again homeless just a few days later.
“While we were pleased to announce that Lone Star Park in Grand Prarie (sic) would be able to accommodate us for the festival, the management informed us on Monday morning that the facility was previously booked for an outside event on their parking lots that would take up 80% of usable parking for our guests,” a statement on the website reads. “The team at Lone Star Park has been diligently working with us directly to help facilitate us with other dates in one capacity or another. This unfortunately may cause us to push back our event or move locations. More details to follow, but this Cinderella Story is not over yet! Stay tuned…”
Amazingly, on top of all of this, Starfest is also currently being sued by Simon Perez, who was hired by the festival to book its big name acts with a 15 percent commission. As TMZ reports, Perez states that he had secured Deadmau5 for $500,000 and Flo Rida for $125,000, meaning that he was supposed to net $90,000 between the two. Perez is claiming that the festival went behind his back to sign artists in order to avoid dishing out his due commission, and that the festival is denying that he had any part in booking either Deadmau5 or Flo Rida.
The article also interestingly mentions that Starfest told Perez they had already booked Drake.
Starfest seems determined to give Fyre Festival a run for its money in the race for 2017’s worst music festival. And if you’re into that kind of competition, some folks are throwing down at this Denton, TX bar for your viewing pleasure (jail sandwiches not included, unfortunately).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.