Everyone to some extent faces struggles when traveling, whether domestically or abroad. Each country comes with its own unique cultures and customs; Texas, however, feels like a country all on its own and residents find themselves facing preconceived ideas of what Texans are like and justifying cultural norms to foreigners. This leads to a unique experience abroad for those on both sides of the fence.
Does Everyone Ride Horses?
There’s a common misconception traveling abroad that everyone in Texas rides horses and that’s simply not true. While Texas does love horseback riding, there are many Texas residents who have never ridden on a horse. In fact, Texas’ biggest cities like Dallas and Houston are extremely metropolitan.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
American Football Abroad
Texas loves American football, more than most cities across the United States. For many Texans it can prove surprising to find out that nowhere else in the country is American Football quite as popular.
Pronunciation isn’t most Texans’ forte. Texans have a way of pronouncing words that sound completely unique to Texas. Traveling abroad often means a new language or at least a different way of pronouncing words in your own language, and Texans may find this the most challenging task of all.
Whether native Texans like it or not, over the years a slight accent develops no matter how hard you try to keep it at bay. But not only does an accent develop, usually Texans don’t realise how strong it’s become and always seem genuinely surprised when everyone is quick to point it out.
All Texans Love the Cowboys
The stereotype that all Texans love the Dallas Cowboys football team is false. When traveling abroad a way for locals to connect with visitors is to talk about your hometown sports teams. Often times when you mention you’re from Texas someone will bring up the Cowboys, which can get awkward for the many Texans who don’t care too much for the team – or even football in general.
Driving in Snow or Ice
Traveling abroad where the roads are icy and the snow is plentiful means no Texan should be driving. In Texas during the few days the temperatures reach low enough to create semi-icy roads everything is shut down because residents are aware of the simple fact that they just aren’t the best at driving in snowy or icy conditions due to lack of experience.
Everything is Bigger in Texas
It’s a known fact that everything is bigger in Texas – well – possibly only known to Texans. This often sparks a conversation on how many things are in fact bigger in Texas. From big hair to big pride a lot of things prove bigger in Texas and everyone is curious as to why.
Going abroad Texans are often called out for their constant use of ‘y’all.’ Depending on how you look at it this can either be a struggle or even a conversation starter.
Not Everyone is a Cowboy/Cowgirl
Going abroad for Texans usually entails a conversation explaining you’re not a cowboy/cowgirl. The state itself – although it does count authentic cowboys and cowgirls amongst its residents – is fairly progressive with large cities and modern technology.
Not Everyone Loves Texas
With Texas pride comes the misconception that everyone knows about and loves Texas. This is not entirely true. While some people just don’t care for Texas, others have barely heard a thing about the Lone Star State. This is a troublesome reality many Texans traveling abroad learn when they leave home.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.