Even as a United States citizen, visiting Texas can seem like you’ve ventured into a foreign country. One of the most unique aspects of Texas is the language, and it’s important to understand the meaning behind the local lexicon before visiting the Lone Star State. Read up with this list of the most common everyday phrases to aid you in assimilating with those born and bred in Texas.
‘How y’all doin?’
In general ‘y’all’ is used in place of ‘you guys’ and when someone addresses the group with ‘how y’all doin’ or in translation, ‘how are you guys doing,’ a full prognoses of your current life happenings is most definitely expected.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is a casual phrase usually addressed to a group of people. It translates to ‘hi guys’ in most other places in the US. Typically just a ‘hey’ in response is perfectly appropriate.
‘Don’t mess with Texas.’
Although this phrase belongs to a Texas anti-litter campaign, Texans use it in many different scenarios. Usually it’s said to display Texas pride and can be heard in any casual conversation.
‘This ain’t my first rodeo.’
A rodeo is when cowboys come together to compete in things like roping, riding brancos, etc. Rodeos are very popular in Texas and to say, ‘This ain’t my first rodeo’ is a sly way of stating you know what you’re doing or you’ve been there and done that.
‘Hot enough to fry eggs on the sidewalk.’
In the summer, temperatures in Texas frequently reach at or above 100 degrees fahrenheit. When someone says ‘Hot enough to fry eggs on the sidewalk,’ this means it’s extremely hot outside.
‘We’re burnin daylight.’
Visiting Texas you might observe a lot of people don’t feel the need to include the ‘g’ in a word normally ending in ‘ing.’ You’ll here sayings like ‘we’re burnin daylight,’ which essentially means you’re wasting time or you’re running out of time.
‘Who stuck the burr under your saddle?’
A saddle is the seat fastened on the back of a horse making it easier for a rider to stay on a horse comfortably. A burr is essentially the rough edge of a metal piece, thus a burr under your saddle suggests a strange and uncomfortable situation. ‘Who stuck the burr under your saddle’ means ‘Why are you so uptight?’ or ‘What has gotten in to you?’
‘Friendly as fire ants.’
‘Friendly as fire ants’ is Texan sarcasm at its finest. A fire ant, if you’ve ever been bitten by one, is neither a pleasant nor friendly experience. The phrase suggests something or someone is in fact unkind or malicious.
‘We’ve howdy-ed but we ain’t shook.’
‘We’ve howdy-ed but we ain’t shook’ is a way to say we’ve met but haven’t been formally introduced. It’s also important to note most Texans are pretty friendly and when introduced genuinely care to hear your story and will gladly off theirs as well.
‘I’ll have a coke.’
In Texas you’ll hear the phrase, ‘I’ll have a coke’ frequently. This doesn’t mean everyone always orders Coke, it’s just a way of saying I’ll have a soda.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.