Many people think of Cleveland as the home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the champion city of the microbrewery, but this Midwest locale is rising in true underdog fashion as a hub for foodies all across the country. These spots range from the ultimate locals’ choice restaurants to sensational fine dining food, so bring your appetite and check out the best restaurants in Downtown Cleveland.
Did you know you can now travel with Culture Trip? Check out our US trips, or browse our collections of Epic Trips, Mini Trips and Sailing Trips to discover the world like never before.
Blue Point Grille
The Blue Point Grille has retained the title of Cleveland’s premier seafood restaurant since its opening in 1997. The massive bay windows overlook the heart of downtown’s historic Warehouse District, littered with transformed factory buildings and shopping centers. The Grille offers traditional seafood made form the freshest ingredients at the raw bar, as well as award-winning wine pairings. Fine dining meets an open air atmosphere in this sizable urban locale, which has two stories connected by ornate columns. Happy hour is one of the best deals in town, with oysters at $1 each and martinis at $5.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Authentic south-of-the-border flavor is a rare find in the Midwest – a dilemma that a tiny cubbyhole restaurant called Momocho is trying to redress. The decor is chic and edgy, with designs on the wall resembling a tattoo parlor, mixed with traditional Mexican ornaments. Chef Eric Williams puts a fresh spin on Mexican favorites; his menu features such unique items as goat’s cheese guacamole and Korean barbeque-style taquitos. During happy hour on Tuesday-Friday, Momocho offers half-priced signature margaritas and taquitos.
There is no better spot in Cleveland to find New York-style deli food than Slyman’s Restaurant on the East Side. It is a simple diner setting with friendly and attentive staff who serve up traditional American fare, from Ruebens to sweet hotcakes. Don’t miss the classic pastrami and corned beef sandwiches, which are rumored to be the best in the Midwest.
The Rusty Anchor
With a name that sounds more like a dive bar than an upscale seafood and steak restaurant, The Rusty Anchor surprises and goes well above its expectations. The interior is, of course, nautically-themed – the dining space is elevated on a curved wooden slope resembling the hull of a boat and other sailing paraphernalia hangs on the walls. The outdoor patio is directly on the Cuyahoga river’s East Bank, offering amazing views of the city by night. There is also live music and an exhaustive wine list available.
L’Albatros, a French brasserie on the outskirts of Case Western Reserve, is one of chef Zack Bruell’s six restaurants in Cleveland. From the outside it looks like a small carriage house, but the interior is deceptively large and completely modern. The walls are white-painted brick and the furniture is similarly stark white, which is offset by a sleek black marble bar and striking artwork. The menu consists of French staples like duck confit and escargots, beautifully executed, as well as some more offbeat items.
Thinking of a foodie getaway? Check out our four-day Mini Trip to Bolgona, Italy, or our four-day Mini Trip to the Basque Country in Spain – you’ll experience the best local cuisine with a small group of like-minded travellers.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.