From pirate ships to treetop ziplines, Tampa Bay is an adventure waiting to happen. Here’s our pick of activities for an unforgettable trip in the west coast corner of Florida.
While Miami and Orlando have long been considered the top destinations if you’re planning a Florida vacation, don’t sleep on Tampa Bay. The fast-growing city is currently being discovered by a new generation of travelers seeking a more ecofriendly take on the classic Sunshine State excursion. From yoga on the water to canoeing through Class II rapids, here’s your blueprint for the ultimate outdoor adventure-packed weekend in the Big Guava.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
See downtown’s top attractions along the Tampa Riverwalk
One of the best ways to see the city is to get out of the car and take a walk along the Tampa Riverwalk, a spectacular 2.6mi (4.2km) pedestrian trail hugging the Hillsborough River in downtown Tampa. You’ll pass many of Tampa Bay’s most iconic buildings, including the Amalie Arena, the Tampa Museum of Art and the Tampa Convention Center. You will also be able to admire art en route in the form of murals, photo collages, steel and glass panels, and bronze sculptures.
Take to the water and ride a unique kayak/stationary bike combo known as a waterbike for the ultimate in human-powered transport. Then, stop off to recount the day’s adventure and watch the sunset from one of several bars and restaurants that line the path including Sail Plaza. Some of Tampa Bay’s best hotels including the JW Marriott Tampa Water Street are just steps away.
Take a laid-back float down the Hillsborough River with Canoe Escape
Fancy a leisurely float down the Hillsborough River? Then dial up Canoe Escape, which offers a number of downstream paddle trips ranging from two hours to a full day outside Tampa Bay. Meandering through the 16,000-acre (6,475ha) Lower Hillsborough Wilderness Preserve, you can view a range of wildlife including songbirds, gators and deer as they make their way across serene sections of the Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail.
Canoe through Class II rapids at Hillsborough River State Park
Just half an hour’s drive from downtown Tampa is the Hillsborough River State Park, a popular 3,000-acre (1,214ha) expanse of nature equipped with 7mi (11km) of trails and a 112-site campground. Its claim to fame is the rare Class II rapids that can be found in one section of the river; however, a leisurely stroll draped underneath shady oak trees that will also scratch the nature itch. Check out historic Fort Foster, bike the 2mi (3.2km) loop trail, or drop a line in the river to fish for bass and catfish. Yes, this is Tampa Bay.
Swing from the trees with Empower Adventures Ziplining
A rush of adrenaline awaits you at Empower Adventures Ziplining, which offers a two-hour guided zipline experience overlooking the placid waters of the Mobbly Bayou Wilderness Preserve outside Tampa Bay. Experience more than 3,000ft (914m) of ziplines as well as an aerial obstacle course, a rappelling adventure, and a 200ft (61m) suspension-bridge traverse. The thrill lasts about 2.5 hours, after which is the perfect time to high-tail it over to the nearby CURRENT Hotel for a much-deserved welcome drink in a luxurious setting overlooking the bay on the way back to Tampa.
Become a pirate for the day aboard the Lost Pearl
It’s no secret that Tampa Bay leans heavily into its pirate past, and nowhere is this more apparent than the Lost Pearl. The iconic pirate ship floating through downtown Tampa is a hit with passengers of all ages, from kids shooting water into the river from on-board toy cannons to adults kicking back with a drink in hand while taking in the scenery. The 1.5-hour tours include narration, dolphin sightings, and “pirate entertainment.” This you gotta see for yourself.
Do yoga on the water with Urban Kai Stand Up Paddle Boarding
Leave the traffic behind and make your way through Tampa Bay with the help of Urban Kai Stand Up Paddle Boarding, which offers everything from yoga on the water to group paddle tours in downtown Tampa. Watch the buildings pass slowly by as you meander down the Hillsborough River past parks, serene open spaces, and the bustling Tampa Riverwalk. You’ll never want to get in a car again.
Start your own party on the river with Kraken Cycleboat
You know those pedal party bike-powered mobile bars taking over cities across America? Well, they’re not just for rowdy bachelorette parties. Kraken Cycleboat takes the pedal party onto the water with raucous pedal boats tailor made for day drinking under the bright Florida sun. The boats pass all downtown’s main attractions along the river, and they offer night cruises so you can experience the romantically illuminated Riverwalk area in style.
Experience Tampa Bay’s ultimate form of transport with Pirate Water Taxi
Everyone new to Tampa Bay will inevitably inquire about Pirate Water Taxi, a bright yellow floating passenger barge that is easy to spot in the downtown area along the Tampa Riverwalk. But don’t just smile and snap a photo. Hop on board. With 14 stops strategically placed near downtown Tampa’s top attractions, you are free to hop on and off the water taxi wherever you please. Or stick around for the River Route guided tour, which comes with narration and a bar. As long as you’re on the water, you can’t go wrong either way.
Learn more about the interesting history of Tampa Bay and start planning your trip at visittampabay.com
Places to Stay
If you’re after luxury with a dash of quirkiness, this modern bolthole screams chic and classy while capturing the energy of Tampa Bay throughout. Sip innovative cocktails at the glass lobby bar, or chow down on ocean-to-table plates at the signature restaurant. It really is the ideal spot to come back to after a day of exploring Tampa Bay’s best bits.
Panoramic views of Tampa Bay? Check. Private beach? Check. Tallest rooftop bar in Tampa? Check. The Current Hotel has it all. Each room comes with views of Tampa’s famous bay, and each is equipped with modern luxuries for optimum comfort. You’re just a few steps from Busch Gardens, a must-visit on any trip to Tampa Bay; that’s if you can drag yourself away from the bayside pool.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.