You’ve partied in Miami and you’ve tanned on Daytona, but you’re not ready to leave Florida yet – well, if you make a trip to Tampa, you won’t have to. What many visitors (and some Floridians themselves) don’t realize is that Tampa is teeming with inventive museums that cover a diverse range of topics, from photography to WWII. You already know there’s a lot to do in Tampa, now let’s explore what we can learn too.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
SS American Victory Mariners’ Memorial and Museum Ship
An oft-visited relic of World War II, the SS American Victory is a symbol of national pride and a favorite amongst locals and tourists alike. The museum is situated inside the warship itself, docked permanently at Tampa Bay as a floating time machine that catapults you into her perfectly preserved past. You can book private tours through the official Tampa Bay visitors’ website or opt to guide yourself through all nine decks of incredible exhibits including cargo holds, mess halls, and the captain’s quarters. Visiting the Mariner’s Memorial is a rare opportunity to admire up close the artifacts of a gone-but-not-forgotten time.
The Henry B. Plant Museum
Not an ornate house of botany as the name suggests, the Henry B. Plant Museum is actually a museum dedicated to the building’s past life as the grand Tampa Bay Hotel in the late 1900s. The museums exhibits explore the period of Gilded Age tourism through the elite lifestyle of the old hotel’s guests. The opulent ambiance is immediately set in motion by the museum’s facade, a Victorian-era architectural masterpiece with pewter filigreed arches and soaring silver minarets.Today, it finds itself as part of the University of Tampa campus (whilst the South Wing houses the museum, many other rooms in the building are used as university offices and classrooms), and as such stands as a visually stunning reminder of today’s support of universal knowledge over minority elitism.
Ybor City State Museum
Ybor City (pronounced “ee-bore”) is a historic Tampa Bay neighborhood rich in culture and cuisine. A remnant from Tampa’s antiquated cigar industry, Ybor is a city stuck in time that to this day continues to showcase its Cuban, Italian and Spanish roots, partly via this museum. The actual museum is housed inside the historic Ferlita Bakery (the ovens of which are part of the museum displays) and the visitors’ center is a square patio strung with glowing paper lanterns and accompanied by vibrant music. If you’re fascinated by the Latin community and want to know more about its past, then this is the museum for you.
Tampa Bay History Center
If you check the Tampa Bay History Center’s calendar of events, you’ll notice that pretty much all of them have been sold out – that should give you a clue as to how popular this historic gem is. It’s a textbook on Tampa Bay come to life, with interactive exhibits on every floor. Costumed guides tell you humorous stories of Tampa Bay’s intriguing history, and curated collections of arts, artifacts and films animate the Bay’s unforgettable past. Whether you’re new to Tampa or you’ve lived there all your life, there’s certainly something to learn at the History Center.
Tampa Museum of Art
A staple in the art world, the Tampa Museum of Art offers an emulsion of different visual mediums packed into a spacious, generously lit museum. The exhibits are consistently updated and kept in rotation, which makes the collections diverse and highly appealing. For example, the current exhibit on display, “In Living Color,” pays homage to the legendary Andy Warhol and celebrates his contemporary printmaking. The museum also boasts an impressive permanent collection of sculptures and paintings created by artists both renowned and unknown. An obvious choice if you love art, but exhibitions are so creatively and interestingly put together than even those who don’t know their Warhol from their Pollack will still enjoy themselves.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.