A short distance from the San Francisco Bay area of California, Modesto is a comparatively small town with an up-and-coming restaurant scene. We list 10 great places to eat in this gem of the Golden State.
At Dewz, no detail is left unattended to. This upscale American restaurant executes service, cuisine, and atmosphere with perfection. The food is elegant, with varied influence from French, Asian, and Italian dishes. Add a world-class wine list to the equation and we have a restaurant that becomes a complete upscale package.
Dewz 1505 J Street, Modesto, CA, USA, +1 209 549 1101
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Camp 4 Wine Café
As the name suggests, Camp 4 Wine Cafe has a passion for great wine. The wine selection is vast the, and food is excellent and shouldn’t be missed. The menu offers gourmet panini, small bites and a charcuterie and cheese selection that includes both local and imported options. During the dinner hour, Camp 4 also has a bruschetta appetizer that changes daily, with creative flavor combinations like burrata with heirloom tomatoes and piquillo pepper with Manchego and sun dried tomatoes.
Camp 4 Wine Cafe 1508 10th Street, Modesto, CA, USA, +1 209 529 5898
Surla’s is a vibrant mix of inspiration from a number of Asian cuisines and flavors. The restaurant offers unique dishes from a tomahawk smoked pork chop, to a kale and mint salad. Customers especially love the Sunday brunch offered at Surla’s for its American classics, variety of offerings, and large portions. The chef utilizes the bounty of central California in his restaurant, by using as much local produce as possible in his dishes. Surla’s is trendy and chic, with an atmosphere perfect for an easygoing night out.
Surla’s 431 12th Street, Modesto, CA, USA, + 1 209 550 5555
Rockin’ B’s Burger Company
Rockin’ B’s Burger Company is new to the Modesto restaurant scene, opening in early 2013. Since then, it has been wowing customers with no-frills food and service. The menu is small, offering diner classics like burgers, fries, chicken tenders, and grilled cheese. What this place may lack in options, it makes up for in creative flavor.
Rockin’ B’s Burger Company, 222 Mchenry Avenue, Modesto, CA, USA, +1 209 524 7656
Raw Sushi Bistro
As a Japanese fusion restaurant, Raw Sushi offers both the expected and the unique. Customers can enjoy popular sushi rolls, or innovative dishes like the beef and cilantro roll and Dante’s Inferno roll topped with crunchy, tempura-fried jalapenos. Plating is especially important to the chefs at Raw Sushi and dishes are served looking artistic and fresh.
Raw Sushi Bistro 1200 I Street, Modesto, CA, USA, +1 209 566 9560
Michael’s Pizza Bar & Grill
While Michael’s Pizza Bar & Grill is especially known for its pizza, it also serves pastas, salads, and fish dishes. The pizza crust is house-made, using a two-day process that gives the dough time to rest and rise. Then, the readied dough is topped with meats, cheeses, and vegetables. A house favorite is Michael’s Masterpiece, a combination of four meats, onions, peppers, and mushrooms, all on hand-crafted dough.
Michael’s Pizza Bar & Grill, 500 N Carpenter Road, Modesto, CA, USA, +1 209 575 1545
Bauer’s 66 ½ Skillet Grill
Though oddly named, Bauer’s 66 ½ Skillet Grill hits the mark. This restaurant is so focused on using fresh and local ingredients that the menu changes weekly to reflect what is currently in season. The chef considers different diet preferences when designing the menu and offers vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options. Some of Bauer’s most popular dishes are the homestyle mac ‘n’ cheese, lamb burger, and garlic shrimp.
Bauer’s 66 ½ 1700 Mchenry Avenue, Modesto, CA, USA, +1 209 985 1199
Concetta is small but full of charm. This restaurant is heavily inspired by locally sourced ingredients currently in season. With those fresh ingredients, they craft dishes that are both creative and carefully planned. Diners are encouraged to order dishes to share and to eat in a family style, sharing a variety of dish options.
Concetta, 1205 J Street, Modesto, CA, USA, +1 209 529 3282
Bella Italia is a delightful touch of Italy, far from the old country, in Modesto. This restaurant has been in business for over two decades. Traditional Italian dishes like pizza, pasta, and polenta are prepared daily in-house. The chef at Bella Italia tries make each customer feel like a welcome guest in an Italian family kitchen.
Bella Italia 2625 Coffee Road, Modesto, CA, USA, +1 209 577 1094
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.