On Mexico’s Pacific Coast, Puerto Vallarta is heaven on earth for anyone into scuba diving, snorkeling, yachting and discovering hidden, white-sand beaches. It’s no surprise that seafood is at the top of the menu, too.
Tucked into Pacific Mexico’s Banderas Bay, Puerto Vallarta is a beach getaway that’s more relaxed than the well-trodden resort towns of Los Cabos or Cancún, but it doesn’t skimp on amenities. A day in the life of Puerto Vallarta means taking a yacht out to sea, scuba diving from the shore or venturing to a hidden beach on a deserted island. And there’s plenty of culture to soak up, too, from the churches and mariachi bands to the fresh seafood cuisine that all make Puerto Vallarta special. Read on for our top picks of things to do in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Soak up some vitamin D at Deadman’s Beach, which according to legend gets its name from the discovery of centuries-old tombs here when residents first started building homes on the coastline. The beach’s dock, shaped like a spiraling conch shell, stands out on the shoreline, and sand sculptors frequently flock here to make intricate designs along the water’s banks. Stop by one of the local vendors to buy fresh-caught shrimp and ice-cold drinks – or for a sit-down cocktail and snack, pop into one of the palapa-lined bars or restaurants along the beach.
Los Arcos, or “The Arches”, may be some of the most iconic rock formations this side of Mexico. The islands can be seen from downtown Puerto Vallarta, but to truly witness their beauty, you need to get up close and personal. The islands are part of a marine national park and are home to coral reefs, manta rays and the occasional turtle or two. There are regular boat departures to get there, from which you can gear up for a scuba dive through the arches to see the wildlife for yourself.
The Plaza de Armas main square has the second set of arches that Puerto Vallarta is famous for, on the pier and looking out at the ocean. This is where the boardwalk meets the main plaza, making the spot perfect for people-watching, with both locals and tourists from all over the world strolling by. Just off the square, Puerto Vallarta’s Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe church stands out among the plaza’s uniformly cream-colored buildings.
Puerto Vallarta’s Catholic parish, the Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe, is the plaza’s crown jewel. The cathedral dominates the city skyline, with a ring of angels topping the bell tower that soars towards the blue sky. And the building’s interior is equally impressive, intricately decorated with painted wooden icons, a marble altar and stained glass windows. Visit Puerto Vallarta in December and you may catch the annual celebrations dedicated to the Virgin Mary, complete with parades and street parties.
What better way to seize the day than out at sea, sailing on a luxury yacht? The food and drink just keeps coming as you spend the afternoon at your own pace, lounging at the boat’s bow and jumping off the stern to cool off. Guides can point out some of Banderas Bay’s most iconic spots, including Los Arcos, and you’ll be back on dry land before you know it.
You can’t go to Puerto Vallarta without trying the seafood (unless you’re a vegetarian, of course), and there’s nowhere fresher to do so than at Maria Baja, a few blocks back from the shore. We love the soft seafood tacos and the tuna-mango, rock shrimp and ceviche tostadas. For a taste of tradition, the green and black aguachiles – shrimp marinated in lime juice with chiles and cilantro – are a must.
Off the coast of Puerto Vallarta’s Banderas Bay, a pair of islands can be seen in the distance. These are the uninhabited Marietas Islands, home to one of the area’s not-so-secret hidden beaches. The beach itself, sometimes known as Lover’s Beach, was formed in the rim of a volcanic basin, and is only accessible by boat. A few trundle there each day from Punta Mita, north of Puerto Vallarta, and spaces are limited, so be sure to get there early.
Puerto Vallarta’s mariposario, or butterfly sanctuary, provides a safe habitat for some native butterfly species whose populations are threatened. It’s a short drive from downtown, but it feels like stepping into another world. The butterfly house is surrounded by trees, the perfect environment for sheltering the insects from tiny caterpillars until the moment they’re ready to spread their wings. If you’re lucky, you might be allowed to help release newly arrived butterflies with the help of the sanctuary’s expert staff.
If you’re looking for somewhere to stay, why not book into one of the best boutique hotels in Puerto Vallarta? Or perhaps one of the best resorts? For more inspiration while you’re in town, check out the best beaches in the area. And don’t miss out on the top restaurants in Puerto Vallarta.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.