The historic center of Guadalajara is one of the city’s most concentrated areas of historical, architecturally impressive landmarks and definitely not one to be missed on any visit to the state of Jalisco. Once you’ve visited Tequila and bought pottery in Tlaquepaque, a visit to the historic center is the perfect way to replenish your energy by admiring the buildings and enjoying some lunch, before finishing the day with a visit to a bar.
The historic center of Guadalajara is replete with historic buildings, including the spectacular double-spired cathedral that dominates the skyline and is a must see when you visit this wonderful city. However, the center also boasts several more buildings that are worth a visit, including the neoclassical Teatro Degollado, a spectacular building that regularly hosts ballets and the Jalisco Philharmonic Orchestra. Tickets can be purchased online. Another one to watch out for is the highly recommended World Heritage Site, Instituto Cultural Cabañas which features several frescos by Orozco and a neoclassical design. Other excellent buildings to take a look at are the Palacio de Gobierno, on the edge of Plaza de Armas, and the Templo de Santa Teresa de Jesus. Teatro Degollado, Guadalajara, Mexico, +52 33 3030 9770 Instituto Cultural Cabañas, Guadalajara, Mexico, +52 33 3942 1200 Guadalajara Cathedral, Guadalajara, Mexico, +52 33 3613 7168
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Four Plazas
After admiring the architectural beauty of the historic center, don’t forget to appreciate the distinct atmospheres of the four main plazas on which they are located. La Rotonda de Los Jaliscienses Ilustres features busts of important figures from the state, so history buffs will love it. The tranquility and grassy spaces also make it ideal to relax and read a book, or admire the bafflingly high volume of cats that always seem to be wandering around. Plaza Guadalajara affords great views of the Cathedral but is usually busy and heavily populated by street vendors. Plaza de Armas has gorgeous wrought iron benches dotted around an impressive central bandstand. Finally, Plaza de la Liberación is perfect for strolling up and down, admiring the fountain, and maybe purchasing a rucksack or scarf from the makeshift stalls that line the central walkway.
San Juan de Dios
An unmissable three-floor covered market in the heart of the historic center, San Juan de Dios is a Guadalajara institution and the perfect place to pick up some souvenirs. However, the sheer variety on offer in this market makes it one to visit for the experience alone. Spread across the various levels you’ll find a huge produce section with meats, cheeses and vegetables, as well as leather products, toys and handbags. Not enough? Clothes, electronics, DVDs, and a selection of food stalls are also to be found. Still not enough? They also sell pets, shoes, and sweets. Don’t pay too much, as many of the branded clothing is fake, but the traditional Mexican huaraches or leather goods are worth picking up here. Mercado de San Juan de Dios, Calzada Javier Mina 52, Guadalajara, Mexico, +52 33 3618 0506
Museo de Cera & Ripley’s Believe It Or Not!
Those travelling with kids will understand the difficulties of finding things to amuse them, especially in a city’s historic center where the majority of the attractions are “boring” from a child’s perspective. Situations like this are where we recommend paying a visit to the Museo de Cera, which has a slightly outdated wax Justin Bieber as well as several Mexican celebrities including the internationally recognizable Frida Kahlo, followed by Ripley’s Believe It Or Not! Located right next door to one another on Plaza de la Liberación, admission is 110/90 pesos (about $6.50/$5 adult/child) to both places. Even if you don’t have kids, visiting these museums will give you a few hours of laughter, or at the very least, some excellent photo opportunities. Museo de Cera/ Ripley’s Believe It Or Not!, Calle Morelos 217, Guadalajara, Mexico, +52 33 3614 8487
Avenida Chapultepec tends to take all the credit for the fantastic Guadalajara night life however, the historic center also boasts some excellent bars of its own, where you can enjoy a few beers or dance to your heart’s content. Those wanting a more traditional Mexican drinking experience should stop by La Mutualista, a cantina (Mexican pub) that is open Tue-Sat from 1pm onward. Order a drink and enjoy the free botanas. If you want to dance, head to El Sonidero, where cumbia rules the waves. A friendly local will surely be on hand to teach you. Finally, those wanting to try the traditional Mexican spirits should go to Chupitería La Favorita, a bar with awesome music and a wide range of shots. El Sonidero, Calle 8 de Julio 162, Guadalajara, Mexico Thu-Sat 9pm-3am Chupitería La Favorita, Morelos 666, Guadalajara, Mexico, +52 33 3658 6057 Tue-Wed 7pm-2am, Thu-Sat 9pm-3am La Mutualista, Madero 553, Guadalajara, Mexico, +52 33 1338 2423 Tue-Thu 1pm-1am, Fri-Sat 1pm-3am By Lauren Cocking
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.