Salsa is a quintessentially Mexican dance, despite having murky origins in other Latin countries like Cuba and Puerto Rico and a rich musical background. Even so, it remains a massively popular style in many bars and clubs across Mexico, so you’ll need to know a bit about it before you arrive if you want to avoid feeling like a fresh-off-the-boat newbie. Here’s a brief rundown on the tips and tricks to help you salsa like a Mexican.
The basic steps
Before you arrive in Mexico, it’s worth investing some time to pick up the basic steps that are used across most salsa variations. A six-step movement over eight beats of music – either from side-to-side or backwards and forwards – will serve you well in whatever salsa dance scenario you manage to get yourself into when visiting Mexico.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Having said that it’s worth considering that there are many types of salsa that vary wildly – some being far more difficult for beginners than others. Cuban salsa has a faster, more complex feel and can look daunting at first, whereas in New York salsa the dancers are almost always facing one another, rather than circling around like in other Latin American styles. There are far more variations than those two though, so keep in mind that it’s a very complex dance and difficult to master!
It’s all about the hips
Once you’ve got the basic step pattern down, it’s important to only apply that movement to the bottom half of your body. Salsa is all about the hips, but it shouldn’t be all about the shoulders! A great trick to help remember this by is imagining the movement of a salsa step as similar to climbing the stairs, or moving your body weight from the ball of one foot to another. The weight change from foot to foot gives that swinging-hips look without relying on the waist and torso to create it. Making sure you understand how to shift your weight correctly will massively help in your quest to look like a salsa professional, but what about when you’re dancing with a partner?
Dancing with a partner
If you’re taking the lead, you need to place your right hand on your partner’s shoulder blade and clasp your left hand with their hand. If you’re following, you’ll want to have your left hand placed firmly on their shoulder, and hold their other hand. However, the ‘open’ position of salsa dancing dictates that you simply hold hands, releasing only to carry out twists, turns and spins. The pattern of spins might not make sense at first, but just try and at least stay on beat and you’ll be fine!
Overall, dancing salsa is all about letting yourself get swept up in the music, following both the rhythm as well as your partner (if you’re a woman dancing with a man, that is). If the worst comes to the worst, and you just can’t figure out the footwork then don’t despair because not all Mexicans know how to dance salsa anyway. So, dancing salsa like a Mexican doesn’t necessarily imply dancing well at all! Instead, let the music carry you as you stumble your way through the steps, because as with most things, dancing salsa doesn’t all come down to perfect execution but rather the experience of daring to do it in the first place.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.