Sayulita and San Pancho on Mexico’s Pacific coast have been attracting surfers from all over for decades. The waves are generally mellow and easy to ride making this a great section of the coast for beginners as well as anyone who wants a chilled out surf experience. In addition to the great surf, the small towns that dot the coast – Punta Mita, Sayulita, San Pancho – all hold charms for surfers and non-surfers alike. Here are some spots we recommend for riding some good waves.
The town of Sayulita has been drawing surfers to its shores since the 1960s. The surf break on Sayulita’s main beach is know for its mellow, consistent waves, perfect for beginners or longboarder. The town faces north and so recieves good northern swells (a collection of waves moving away from a storm in the ocean). The left side of the beach is mostly sand bar while the right is rock bottom point break – meaning left is better for beginners, right for surfers with experience.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Just up the road going north along the coast is San Pancho. Another cool beach town, San Pancho is a great alternative to staying in Sayulit if you want an even more mellow vacation. San Pancho has a left hand river mouth and a sand bottom break. The waves there are better suited for shortboarders with a little bit of exprience being that they are a little bit punchy. Low to mid-tide is a great time to surf there.
La Lancha break is further south, on the other side of the point in Punta Mita. Once a sleepy fishing village and surf spot, the town of Punta Mita is now known for its upscale tourist and luxury living. Boulders on the bottom of the sea floor make the quicker, left breaks a little trickier to surf, but the slower, right breaks are great for any skill level. This beach is known for having some of the most consistent waves in the area.
Ostiones beach access is a long walk by land through the surrounding flora or a quick boat ride from either San Pancho or Sayulita. The left breaks are worth checking out during a big swell. There’s not much tourism infrastructure so bring along with you anything you want to eat or drink.
Right in front of the Hotel Cinco in Punta Mita, Anclote has a slow and long break that is great for beginners. The waves are better suited for longboarders than shortboarders but it can get crowded during the high tourism season. The break there is on a reef and rocky, so keep an eye out for the rocks below! From this beach you can get boat rides to El Faro beach, The Cove beach and the Marieta Islands.
El Faro (The Lighthouse)
This break is good for both longboarders and shortboarders and tends to be fast and to the right. This is a good spot for intermediate to advanced surfers but not so much for beginners. This break is good at low to mid-tide and is located just before the very tip of Punta Mita going north up the coastline.
Located to the south of Anclote (in Punta Mita) Stinky’s break is slow and steady and good for beginners and longboarders. It’s directly in front of the hotel La Quinta del Sol and to the left of a jetty used by fishing boats – the fishing boats give the place their name. This is a right point break and the beach here, like it’s neighbor Anclote, is a reef and rocky.
Located north of El Faro break, Bahia is right on the tip of Punta Mita and it’s good for both left and right rides, short boards and long boards. The right break is faster and steeper and this spot is exposed to the open ocean so it can get a little messy. To reach this beach you can walk for about an our along the shore or catch a ride on a local boat to take out there. This spot is just south of the Four Seasons Hotel.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.