Once a tiny fishing village, Sayulita was founded by U.S. surfers in the 50s and 60s and hasn’t been the same since. While there are still ample tourists that come for the good waves, the town has turned into a pleasure retreat on Mexico’s Pacific coast with all kinds of options for chilling out, filling up, and cooling off. We guarantee that you will love it if you stick to the following 10 things.
Famed for its wellness services, Sayulita is the perfect place to get in some downward and upwards facing dogs inbetween meals. Many of the local hotels offer classes and run several yoga retreats all year round. There are teacher certification programs going on if you want to finally get certified and enjoy the beach while you do it. To that we say: Om, Yeah.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ah, the beach. There is nothing like it and unless you come at a crazy busy time like Easter week, there will probably be plenty of room to spread out and enjoy the waves and the view of Sayulita’s main beach. If you do find it a little crowded for your liking, there are a couple alternative beaches, one of which you follow the road out of the town to the north past the cemetary to get to.
Visit the islands
The Marietta Islands are a must see on vacation in Sayulita. The islands are completely unihabited and full of wild marine life. Created thousands of years ago by volcanoes, they are one of the most stunning places to lounge for a day while you are in Sayulita. From December to March you also might spot a few gray whales on their annual migration.
International tourists bring international chic and there are several amazing boutique stores now in Sayulita for upscale shoppers who want a taste of local art. The Huichol Center next to Blue Corn Mama sells incredible local crafts and the money benefits the local Huichol Indian community. Also, check out La Hamaca and Evoke The Spirit.
Evoke the Spirit, Calle Jose Mariscal, Sayulita, Mexico +52 329 291 3692
La Hamaca, Revolución 110, Centro, 63734 Bahía de Banderas, Mexico +52 329 291 3039
Evenings in Sayulita find folks out on the main square listening to local bands, having a beer at a streetside cafe or watching the sunset on the beach. The town’s laidback vibe means that you should never be in a rush to go anywhere. It’s the perfect place to find a spot and watch the world go by.
Sayulita was a surf village before it was the international vacation hotspot that it is today. Since the 60s surfers have been enjoying its clean breaks and easy waves. There are several surf schools that will take you out – whether you are a beginner just learning or a more advanced surfer looking for the best breaks.
Sayulita’s influx of foreigners and its barrage of tourists each year means that they are serious about eating. You can now find top notch Italian, full-on gluten-free, incredible seafood and even bagels and lox. This is not to mention lots of delicious Mexican classics and some damn good margaritas. What else is vacation for but to eat?
Go out for drinks
For such a small town, Sayulita has quite a lively nightlife. There are LOTS of bars among the handful of streets downtown and since everywhere is close you won’t have to worry about getting a little tipsy and you can walk home. Most bars are bunched around the town’s main plaza so go ahead and bar hop to your heart’s delight.
Stay in for Dinner
Local produce and fresh fish are available throughout town. Pescadería Piolin and Pescadería Omar are two fish stands along the main road that sell the catch of the day until it’s gone (get there before 4pm). Sayulita even has a great organics store called Terrenal, whose owners are some of the most dedicated organics providers we’ve ever met! Do yourself a favor and cook yourself a delicious meal that ends with a glass of wine on your porch and the sea breeze.
Pescadería Omar, Océano Pacífico Sur 53, Miramar, La Peñita de Jaltemba, Mexico +52 327 107 0887
Pescadería Piolin, Av Revolución 24, Sayulita, Mexico +52 329 291 3059
Terrenal Organics, Av Revolución 56, Centro, Sayulita, Mexico +52 329 291 3454
Sayulita is a town that’s all about wellness and well-being, whether it’s slowing down to breath through a yoga class or treating yourself to a massage, you must find a way to treat yourself during your trip to this sleepy town. Places like the Wellness Center at the Haramara Retreat or the Away Spa in the nearby Hotel W in Punta Mita make it easy to pamper yourself.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.