If you’re an Instagram enthusiast you will find plenty to keep you happy on a trip to Mexico. Whether it’s pink lakes, mushroom-shaped rocks or churches buried in lava, the country has a broad range of unusual natural delights. Here’s a rundown of 15 surreal sights that should already be on your radar.
The Pink Lakes of Las Coloradas
These famous lakes in the Yucatán Peninsula acquired their pink hue because of their high-salt content. Certain red-colored algae thrives in this salty environment and turn the lakes bright pink.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Seven-Tone Lake
The Lake of Bacalar in the Caribbean coastal state of Quintana Roo is famous for containing no less than 7 different shades of blue. With its limestone bottom, the water is also famously clear – making it an excellent place for snorkeling.
The Bay of Balandra on Mexico’s Baja California Peninsula contains a very rare mushroom-rock formation.
The Bat Cave
Every night, thousands of bats pour out of this cave to find food in El Maviri, in the coastal state of Sinaloa.
The Buried Church
The church tower in the western state of Michoacán was buried in lava and ash when the nearby Parícutin volcano erupted in 1943. Today, the bell tower still protrudes from the surface of the volcanic rock.
The Crystal Cave
In the year 2000, amazed geologists discovered some of the world’s largest crystals in the Naica Silver Mine in Chihuahua. Buried nearly 1,000 feet (300 meters) below ground, some of the crystals reach a length of 50 feet (15 meters).
The Hidden Beach
Situated in an open crater, the “hidden beach” is found in the Islas Marietas National Park off the Pacific coast of Mexico. The beach was formed by accident, as a result of military explosive testing in the 1900s.
The coastal city of Cabo San Lucas is the southernmost point of Mexico’s Baja Peninsula. On the Pacific side, the ocean is famously choppy.
The Sacred Cave
The Ancient Mayans believed that caves were spiritual sites, and none more so than the Balancanché caves near Chichen Itza. The cave’s limestone column resembles the ceiba tree, from which the earth was believed to have sprung. Surrounding the column are a range of Mayan ceremonial offerings, which have been left untouched through the centuries.
Agua Azul Waterfall
The southern state of Chiapas boasts Agua Azul, or blue water, one of Mexico’s most splendid waterfalls.
The Cusárare Waterfall
Not to be outdone, the northern state of Chihuahua is blessed with the Cusárare Waterfall, a stunning sight with a dramatic one hundred-foot (30 meter) drop.
The Copper Canyon
This canyon range in the state of Chihuahua is among the most impressive in the world, and is home to the Tarahumara indigenous tribe who are famous for their long distance running abilities.
The “Round Pyramids”
Located an hour outside of the city of Guadalajara, Los Guachimontones is an archaeological site that contains unusual conical step pyramids. Apart from one other smaller pyramid in Mexico City, these are the only “round pyramids” in the world.
The Sunset in Puerto Vallarta
The coastal resort of Puerto Vallarta is famed for its stunning sunsets. In this picture, a distant cruise ship sails off into the sun.
El Paraíso (The Paradise) in the municipality of Huichapan, Hidalgo, offers swimming pools with breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.