Mexico is widely regarded as one of the world’s best travel destinations. Its capital city was named top choice for tourists by The New York Times last year and the beach resorts of Puerto Vallarta and Cancún are growing ever-more popular.
Days 1 to 3
Fly into bustling Cancún International Airport and spend a few days soaking up the sun along the Riviera Maya.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In fact, the region is so packed with stunning natural wonders and exciting activities that it can be difficult to prioritize, but the two stand out sights if you only have a few days are the Mayan ruins of Chichén Itzá and Tulum.
The first of these is located two hours from the center of Cancún. One of the new Seven Wonders of the World, the city was once the center of Mayan economic and religious life. Most hotels run regular shuttle buses to the ancient site, so ask about tours at the hotel reception.
The appropriately named Playa Paraíso, which translates as Paradise Beach, is situated less than two hours from Cancún. This majestic, untouched stretch of sand sits beneath the iconic archaeological ruins of Tulum. You’re unlikely to ever find a more Instagram-friendly spot.
Days 4 to 8
On day four, take an internal flight from Cancún to Mexico City. The city boasts impressive museums, fascinating cultural landmarks and world-class nightlife. Of course, make sure to visit the imposing Metropolitan Cathedral, the largest cathedral in the Americas.
Palacio de Bellas Artes, Juárez, Centro Histórico, Mexico City, Mexico, +52 55 5512 2593
On day five, take a stroll through the elegant colonial suburb of Coyoacán. The Frida Kahlo Museum, also known as the Blue House, is a must-see attraction. Also make sure to visit the Leon Trotsky House Museum, where the exiled former Russian revolutionary was murdered.
Spend day six exploring the pyramid of Teotihuacan—your hotel or hostel should be able to provide transport. The impressive archaeological ruin draws two million visitors a year and has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Spend day seven at the floating gardens of Xochimilco, one of the city’s most popular cultural experiences. Especially popular on Sundays, colorful trajinera boats offer trips down the canals. Mariachi bands, laughter and tequila are in plentiful supply in the area. The Island of the Dolls, a secluded area along the shores of the lake, is one of Mexico’s creepiest destinations. A hermit by the name Don Julian Santana lived in the area for more than 50 years and began collecting toy dolls to fend off evil spirits after he found the drowned body of a young girl in the lake. The discolored plastic dolls still hang from the branches of the island’s trees, and many visitors claim to have seen the dolls move or talk.
On day eight, take a day trip to the mysterious pre-Hispanic village of Tepoztlán. Set in a stunning valley, the town has long had a reputation as a center for spirituality and mysticism. Don your hiking boots to scale the 1,300-foot (400-meter) staircase leading to the ruined pyramid which stands at the summit of Tepozteco mountain. The view from the top is truly incredible and well worth the trek up the steep stone trail.
To travel to Tepoztlán, you need to take a bus from the Terminal Central del Sur, also known as the Estación Tasqueña del Sistema de Transporte Colectivo Metro, which you can reach on the metro.
Days 9 to 11
On day nine, head to Mexico City’s Terminal Central del Norte and take a coach to Guanajuato, one of the country’s most beautiful colonial towns. Take a stroll through the city’s cobbled streets and picturesque center. Guanajuato also boasts some excellent cantinas, and the central plaza is alive with street vendors and performers at night.
On day 10, head to the Museo de las Momias de Guanajuato. This iconic museum displays a spooky collection of accidentally mummified bodies that were discovered in the local cemetery. According to local legend, at night the preserved bodies move, whisper, and weep. Take an evening tour around the town’s colonial center with one of the singing groups called estudiantinas. These roaming musicians leave regularly from the central plaza. Part musical performance, part historical tour, there’s no more memorable way to learn about this marvelous town.
Days 12 to 14
On day 12, head to Guadalajara, Mexico’s second-largest city and the home of tequila and mariachi. Steeped in tradition, but also a vibrant cosmopolitan hub, the city offers impressive colonial architecture, as well as excellent restaurants and nightlife.
After exploring the colonial center, on day 13 you should head to the Barranca de Huentitán situated in the northern portion of the city. Also known as the Barranca de Oblatos, the canyon has a depth of nearly 3,500 feet (1,100 meters) and is an excellent place to clear your head while hiking.
On your final day in Mexico, take a taxi to the charming municipality of Tlaquepaque. Internationally renowned for its beautiful pottery and art, Tlaquepaque is the ideal spot for souvenir shopping. Its cobbled streets are lined with many shops offering high-quality jewelry and handicrafts to visitors. Make sure to lunch at the delicious seafood restaurant of Puerto San Pedro. The shrimp and pineapple boat is a must-try favorite.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.