Attending a festival, retreat, or gathering that is centered around creativity, education, self-expression, wellness, and artistic sharing is an experience everyone should have at least once in their lifetime to free the spirit, ignite that inner spark, and connect with individuals who are open-minded, open-hearted, and accepting. Here are some of the most inspiring retreats that you can attend around the world.
Restival in Morocco and elsewhere
It all started in the Sahara Desert in Morocco in 2015 when the beautiful idea of Restival blossomed into a reality. The concept was to create a space for like-minded individuals to disconnect from everyday modern distractions and reconnect with nature, their bodies, and their wellness in a creative and global community. Through activities like creative workshops, yoga, meditation, dance, and sound immersion, Restival is an opportunity for personal introspection and growth. Since 2015, Restivals have been held in Arizona, Los Angeles, Malibu Canyon, and Osea Island in the United Kingdom.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Midburn in Israel
Midburn is a six-day Burning Man-inspired creative gathering that takes place in the Negev Desert. A temporary city is built in the middle of the desert and a “gift economy” is put into place. This transcendental retreat encourages wild and free self-expression and creativity.
Bali Spirit Festival in Indonesia
Bali Spirit Festival is a six-day holistic wellness and music event that also has an incredible humanitarian undertone. The event is complete with yoga, dance, music, and an infusion of the Balinese Hindu concept of Tri Hita Karana, which means to live in harmony with our spiritual, social, and natural environments. The founders of the festival support multiple local charities in Bali.
Envision Art and Sacred Movement Festival in Costa Rica
Envision Art and Sacred Movement Festival is a celebration and awakening of the human potential. This annual gathering takes place on the central Pacific coast of Costa Rica every February. A sustainable community is built and thousands of individuals from around the globe flock to the forest and beach for this extraordinary art, movement, music, education, and yoga gathering.
GeoParadise in Panama
GeoParadise’s Tribal Gathering is exactly what it sounds like—a gathering of tribal communities from around the world who come together to share their culture, traditions, ancient wisdom, and practices. For 18 days, 60 tribes from 30 countries gather on the Caribbean coast of Panama, though the gathering isn’t exclusive to indigenous tribes and is open to anyone who wants to join in on the festivities. The last five days of the festival include electric music performances and what could be classified as modern dance, art, and creativity. This is a mind-opening and sensational opportunity to connect with a variety of different cultures.
Wanderlust Festival in Hawaii
Wanderlust Festival is a spiritual gathering at the gorgeous Turtle Bay Resort the first week of March on the island of Oahu in Hawaii. The purpose of this four-day gathering is to indulge in yoga, beachside mediation, music, and delicious food; its mission is “to help you find your true north. True north is not a final destination: it’s a path, a journey, and a yearning to explore and connect to your life’s purpose.”
Rainbow Gathering in North America
Every year, the Rainbow Family gathers in a national forest in North America from July 1-7 at a location that’s disclosed the week before the gathering. The Rainbow Gathering is free and no money is to be used at all—everything is donated, communal, and shared. The peak of the gathering on July 4 begins with morning silence, a communal prayer for world peace, and then a day of acoustic music, dancing, eating, and celebrating. It is a truly unique experience and an example of how it’s possible to live in peace and harmony with one another.
Luminosity Gathering in British Columbia
Luminosity Gathering takes place in a mystical temperate forest on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia in western Canada. This nature-infused gathering is bursting with inspiring artists, teachers, visionaries, and musicians. It is a chance for conscious learning, authentic connections, and self-expression in an awe-inspiring environment.
Bhakti Fest West in California
In the middle of September, the sacred music, yoga, and personal growth festival Bhakti Fest West takes place at Joshua Tree in California. The festival is drug and alcohol-free and promotes self-evolution, creation, and enlightenment through the practice of yoga, meditation, workshops, dancing, and connecting with other like-minded souls in the expansive desert landscape east of Los Angeles.
Arise Festival in Colorado
Arise Festival is celebrating its sixth year of bringing amazing creative workshops, art galleries and installations, internationally recognized speakers and activists, and yoga to the Colorado mountains for those who want to expand their minds, be inspired, participate in open dialogue and movements for positive change, practice yoga and meditation, and spend time surrounded by other inspirational and open-minded people in a beautiful setting.
Burning Man in Nevada
You can’t talk about the coolest bohemian creative retreats without talking about Burning Man, the ultimate venue for limitless self-expression, art, creative inspiration, and freedom. In the middle of the Black Rock Desert every year, thousands of wild and free spirits from around the world gather to live a harmonious, peaceful, accepting, community-driven, and exhilarating week in the beautiful and harsh desert.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.