Oman is a small country, yet incredible attractions fill every corner of its cities, villages and towns. Between natural beauty, the authentic architecture, and the unique culture, Oman is a great destination for all. Here are the most mind-blowing places that must be included in a visit.
The Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque
The Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque is one of the most famous mosques that are named after the leader of Oman. It is located in Muscat, and covers an area of 456,000 square meters. The building of the mosque and the surrounding wall is an absolute architectural gem. With the arches, decorations, lights and colors, every corner of the mosque is mind-blowing. Not to mention, the magnificent crystal chandelier in the center of the mosque, the decorations of the ceiling and the engravings on the wall. In addition to the architectural beauty, the mosque is surrounded by a big garden with different types of plants, trees and flowers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Al Jebel Al Akhdar
Al Jebel Al Akhdar or the Green Mountain, is one of the most famous mountains that is a part of the magnificent Al Hajar Mountains Range in northern Oman. Like the name it is given, Al Jebel Al Akhdar is almost completely covered with green plantations and grass. With its beautiful terraces, and the amazing view from its summit, Al Jebel Al Akhdar is one-of-a-kind experience for nature lovers and adventure-seekers.
The Royal Opera House
The Royal Opera House in Muscat is the leading organization and the premier venue for musical arts and culture in the Sultanate of Oman. The house has a concert theatre, an art centre for musical, theatrical and operatic productions, an auditorium, several luxurious restaurants, a cultural market with retail, and is surrounded by landscaped gardens. The opera building itself reflects the unique contemporary art and charm of the Omani architecture.
Wadi Bani Khalid
Wadi Bani Khalid is one of the most stunning wadis in Al Sharqiyah region and one of the most famous wadis in Oman. The wadi has a constant flow of water all year round, and pools and lakes are scattered over its area. It is surrounded by a few mountains from different directions, creating a unique and extremely beautiful natural scene.
Muttrah is one of the most well-known districts in the capital Governorate of Muscat. It has a historically economic significance as a center of commerce because it used to be one of the largest sea ports in the region. Muttrah is also famous for its traditional souk and incredible corniche. A walk around the town is an unmissable adventure through Omani culture and heritage, authentic architecture and natural beauty.
Jebel Shams is another famous mountain located within the range of the magnificent Al Hajar Mountains, and is their highest peak. It is believed that Jebel Shams is the first point on which the sun rises in Oman, and that’s how it got its name; the Mountain of Sun. It has two summits, is one of the best hiking tracks in Oman, and the view from the top is breathtaking.
Salalah is a city located in the Dhofar region in the southern part of Oman, but it is also known to be one of the famous natural paradises of Oman, especially during the Khareef (monsoon) season which lasts from July to September every year. In the Khareef, Salalah gets completely covered with green plantations, even its mountains, and the drizzle never stops. A visit to Oman is never complete without a visit to its beautiful and unique Salalah.
The National Museum
The National Museum opened in Muscat in 2016, with several exhibitions that explain the history and culture of Oman. Beside the stunning architecture of the building itself, the exhibitions inside the museums are set in a very creative and beautiful way that makes it one of the top must-visit places in Oman.
Khasab is one of the four provinces that are located in Musandam Governorate in the north-most point of Oman, and it has one of the most beautiful beaches in the area. It is often referred to as the “Norway of Arabia”, for the unique fjord-like mountainscapes. Dolphins and different kinds of birds often visit this beach and visitors can enjoy watching them through a boat trip.
Ras Al Jinz
Ras Al Jinz is a natural reserve for the green turtles that often visit Oman to lay their eggs. It is located in the town of Ras Al Had in eastern Oman and visitors can join several tours to watch the magnificent journey of the turtles to the beach.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.