Between wadis, mountains, crystal seas, golden beaches and sandy deserts, Oman provides nature-lovers with a lot to explore. Nevertheless, there’s nothing that turns Oman into a stunning paradise quite like khareef season in Salalah. Here’s everything you need to know about this amazingly natural festival.
What is Salalah’s khareef season?
Khareef, which means ‘autumn’ in Arabic, is a period of seasonal weather in the southern Dhofar governorate of Oman. It causes the lands to become covered in green, the hills to be surrounded by white fog, and light rain to drizzle almost 24 hours a day. Unlike the extreme hot weather in the rest of Oman from July to September, Dhofar and its famous city Salalah have a cool refreshing weather that attracts visitors from all over the world.
#khareefseason will start tomorrow (Tuesday) in #Dhofar governorate and will continue until September 21, according to the Ministry of Tourism. Are you planning to visit? #khareefsalalah
A post shared by Times of Oman (@timesofoman) on Jun 20, 2016 at 4:03am PDT
The Ministry of Tourism runs a special ‘Khareef Festival’ and ‘Salalah Tourism Festival’ to celebrate this spectacular season, featuring special traditional performances alongside stalls selling Omani handicrafts and traditional food.
#khareefsalalah #salalah #welovesalalah #weloveoman
A post shared by Trade links (@tls_food_service_equipment) on Jul 30, 2017 at 12:46pm PDT
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Where to go and what to do during khareef season
Wadi Darbat is one of the most famous and the most beautiful wadis in Dhofar in southern Oman. During khareef season, it becomes completely covered with green vegetation. It has a big beautiful lake, green mountains that are surrounded with white fog, and amazing waterfalls. Visitors can take an unforgettable boat trip through the lake in Wadi Darbat, or stop off at the many stalls selling fresh fruit around the wadi.
in love 💚💚💚 #monsoon #rain #Salalah #wadidarbat #darbat #khareef
A post shared by Karolina Kobus (@kobuskarolina) on Aug 9, 2017 at 3:37am PDT
Al Mughsail Beach
Another amazing place to enjoy the natural beauty of Salalah during khareef season is the beach at Al Mughsail. As one of the most spectacular beaches in Salalah, it has a dramatic coastline with crashing waves.
It has also unique blowholes that are scattered across the beach, where sea water rushes strongly forming natural fountains. You will most likely get wet if you stop to check them out, but it is absolutely an unmissable experience.
Blow hole #mughsailbeach #blowholes #waterspray #oman
A post shared by Rachel Harrison-Wallace (@rhmh.w) on Oct 26, 2016 at 10:02pm PDT
This place is one of the biggest and most famous local markets in Salalah, where you can buy amazing traditional Omani items such as gold and silver jewelry, handicrafts, Omani clothes, pottery, and frankincense. It is also a great place to get a sense of the Omani culture and heritage. During khareef season, traditional Omani and Dhofari performances take place here.
Shopping in Salalah Souq #loveoman❤️ #oman🇴🇲#haffasouq #dhofar
A post shared by sandra (@beluga61) on Mar 4, 2017 at 9:27pm PST
Try the famous traditional Omani camel meat
One of the most famous dishes in Salalah is camel meshkak, which is kebab made from camel meat. With special Omani seasoning, traditional Omani rice and Omani bread, this is an unmissable mouthwatering dish. There are lots of stalls and restaurants that serve this dish – however, the Sahl Ittin, or Ittin Plain, is the best-known place where there are lots of stalls that serve the dish, along with grilled chicken and beef, rice, bread and salads. It is located near the city center, and visitors can enjoy their meal in the middle of beautiful views and fresh air.
Miracle land🌴 #tb #to #salalah #vscocity #vscocam #camelmeat #instafood #vscolife
A post shared by Abd_ll_ah (@your_father.__) on Jun 5, 2017 at 5:52am PDT
Al Fazayeh Beach
Al Fazayeh Beach is another mind-blowing natural attraction to visit in Salalah. It has amazingly crystal turquoise waters, and a rocky coastline. The drive to the beach goes through splendid green mountains and beautiful natural scenery.
Drink Salalah’s famous coconut juice
Coconut trees are everywhere in Salalah, which makes coconut juice one of the most famous fresh juices in the city, and the most in-demand, especially in khareef season. There are many fresh fruit huts or stalls in Salalah and Dhofar where visitors can stop off to quench their thirst – make sure to try it as you watch the mind-blowing natural attractions of Salalah.
Having coconut drink at tropical style fruit huts (stalls) is a refreshing activity#coconutporn #wadidarbat #salalah#nature#river
A post shared by Nancy (@nancita__) on Sep 3, 2017 at 11:55pm PDT
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.