The Arab world is known for its wide deserts, especially the Rub’ Al Khali (the Empty Quarter), with its golden sands. Here is everything you need to know about the famous Rub’ Al Khali Desert for your next visit to Oman.
What is the Empty Quarter?
The Empty Quarter is the English name for the Rub’ Al Khali desert, located in the southern part of the Arabian Peninsula. It is the largest continuous sand sea in the world, with an area of 650,000 square kilometres (250,000 sq mi), and 1,000 kilometres (620 mi) long and 500 kilometres (310 mi) wide. The Al Rub’ Al Khali desert is shared by four countries: Saudi Arabia, Yemen, the United Arab Emirates and Oman.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The surface of the desert is covered by reddish-orange colored sand dunes, which reach around 250 metres (820 ft) high, and several lake beds. It is believed that the lake beds were originally shallow lakes formed by monsoon rains thousands of years ago, and only lasted for a few years.
Al Rub’ Al Khali, as one of the most significant sand seas in the world, has been featured in several international films, such as Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Matrix, The Panther and many others.
How to get to the Empty Quarter
The Empty Quarter is located in the Governorate of Dhofar in southern Oman, so it is better to fly to Oman through Salalah International Airport. Tourists can also fly to Muscat International Airport, but from there will need either to fly or drive to Salalah by car or bus.
Several companies provide tours and guides to visit the magnificent sandy desert, such as Al Fawaz Tours, Safaridrive.com, Original Travel, Light Foot Travel, and Oman Day Tours. Tours include one-day trips through the desert with a skilled Bedouin guide, 4×4 driving and camping under the bright stars.
Activities in the Empty Quarter
Visitors can enjoy a 4×4 drive in the desert or a camel ride, or camp out on the dunes. One of the best experiences in the Empty Quarter is to spend some time with the Bedouins of the desert. Visitors can enjoy listening to old stories about Oman, its culture and the desert. They will be introduced to the lifestyle, homes, and food of the Bedouin people.
Best places to stay and eat in the Empty Quarter
Due to the harsh environment of the Empty Quarter, there are no touristy places or facilities such as hotels. However, tourists are encouraged to spend a night or two camping on the stunning dunes, under the clear sky and the bright stars of Dhofar. Tour companies have camps with tents.
As for food, most companies have local Bedouins cook traditional Omani food for visitors. Other companies prepare their own food.
Weather in the Empty Quarter
The region is classified as “hyper-arid”, which means that it lacks water for the growth of plants or survival of animals. Rainfall is less than 3 cm (1.2 in) every year. The daily temperatures are between 47 °C (117 °F) and 51 °C (124 °F).
The people of the Empty Quarter
Despite the severe environment of the Al Rub’ Al Khali desert, several tribes from the Arabian Peninsula have managed to establish life on its sands. Most tribes that live there do so close to the edge of the desert. Few roads exist to help settlers find water spots and oil production centers.
Tips to follow before you visit the Empty Quarter
Bring light clothes, big hats, high-quality sunglasses and a jacket and sweater for the cold nights. Due to the conservative nature of Omani culture and the Bedouins, don’t bring short clothes or swimwear that is very revealing.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.