If you don’t already love Prince Hussein bin Abdullah, Jordan’s crown prince, here’s everything you should know about this sporty, philanthropic royal.
Jordan’s Crown Prince Hussein is next in line to the throne and won the hearts of royal enthusiasts all over the world when he gave Britain’s Prince William in July 2018 a personal tour of the city of Jerash.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Here’s what you need to know to about the Middle Eastern king-in-training.
Prince Hussein’s family has been loved for a long time
Named after his late grandfather King Hussein bin Talal, the eldest son of Queen Rania and King Abdullah II is a big brother to Princess Iman bint Abdullah, Princess Salma bint Abdullah and Prince Hashem bin Abdullah. In addition, the UAE’s Princess Haya is his aunt.
Jordan’s ruling Hashemite family are believed to be 42nd-generation direct descendants of the prophet Muhammad. Aside from his ruling mother and father, the prince is the most recognised member of his famous clan.
He began his role in 2009, aged 15, and now at 24 years old, he has already carved out a regal identity of his own among his family members.
Prince Hussein got a top education
Prince Hussein graduated from King’s Academy high school in his home country, but attended Georgetown University in Washington DC to study for a degree in international history.
Now a second lieutenant in the Jordanian Armed Forces, he also graduated from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. It’s a British Army training school where royals from around the globe, including the Crown Prince of Dubai, Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed al Maktoum, have attended. He also was trained at the Prince Hussein bin Abdullah Academy of Protection II, which teaches how to save lives and properties through civil defence sciences.
Prince Hussein’s hobbies aren’t your average
The royal enjoys playing football and even sat down to watch an England game with Prince William during his tour of Jordan in June 2018.
Otherwise, he has been seen boxing, climbing Wadi Al Mujib, riding motorcycles and even skydiving. He jumped out of a plane in 2014 as part of a static line parachute course with paratroopers, and then teamed up with Red Bull Air Force in 2015 to celebrate Kingdom Independence Day. When he’s not flying aircraft, he can also be seen piloting helicopters.
Prince Hussein is big on philanthropy
Under the Crown Prince Foundation, he supports fellow young Jordanians who want an opportunity in science through managing the Al Hussein Technical University.
The Haqiq initiative has helped many learn leadership skills, and Hussein has led many of his peers to internships at NASA. Hussein has also been an ambassador for Hearing Without Borders, a charity supporting the training, rehabilitation and treatment of children who are deaf or have hearing impairments.
Prince Hussein is a record-breaker
Hussein has also broken records as the youngest person to chair a United Nations Secretary Council meeting, which focusses on the maintenance of peace and security around the world. He was only 21 when he did it, in 2015.
He’s got international royals and celebrities in his circle
Aside from Prince William, Prince Hussein has been seen with Britain’s Princess Beatrice, singer Ellie Goulding and American model Karlie Kloss. In fact, the group was lucky enough to have him guide them on a camping trip to sleep on the famous red sands of Wadi Rum desert this year.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.