Everything you need to know about the world-renowned Queen Rania of Jordan, and why she is so well-loved.
Queen Rania of Jordan is not like any other queen. An educator, human rights advocate, fashion icon and social media star, she is one of the most important figures in the Arab world. Her tenure as queen has elevated Jordan’s significance to the global stage in a number of fields, including in refugee assistance, youth empowerment, public health and education.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
She comes from humble origins
The self-described “mum and a wife with a really cool day job,” was born to Palestinian parents from a town in the West Bank in 1970. She spent most of her childhood in Kuwait City and then went on to complete a bachelor’s degree in business administration from the American University in Cairo, Egypt in 1991. When the first Gulf War broke out that same year, Queen Rania’s family was forced to leave Kuwait and resettle in Jordan, where she pursued her career in business and technology, first as a marketer for Citibank and then at Apple. She met the current King Abdullah II bin al-Hussein of Jordan while at a coworker’s dinner party. After just two months of dating, the couple engaged and married in June 1993.
She didn’t expect to become queen
After her marriage to then Prince Abdullah II, Princess Rania had no idea that she would become queen six years later. The country’s reigning leader at the time, King Hussein bin Talal, unexpectedly named his son Abdullah to become his heir while laying on his deathbed in 1999. When he passed, Abdullah and Rania respectively took on the mantle as King and Queen of Jordan. She was 28 years old at the time – one of the world’s youngest queens.
She’s a global advocate for a number of causes
Queen Rania was initially viewed as a beauty icon, but that did not stop her from defying convention and becoming an active representative for her people. Though her background is in technology, Queen Rania’s primary agenda has been education. By working with the Ministry of Education and establishing a number of educational initiatives of her own, like the Queen Rania Teachers Academy and Madrasati, the queen has sought to encourage private sector investment and reform in education.
Internationally, she has won a number of accolades in recognition of her work on behalf of youth and education, including her position as an Honorary Global Chair for the United Nations’ Education Initiative as well as the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). She championed the 1Goal campaign for education and even wrote a New York Times-bestselling children’s book, The Sandwich Swap, which is inspired by stories from her childhood. She regularly interviews on television and delivers high-profile speeches at international conferences. She was also named one of the World’s 100 Most Powerful Women by Forbes magazine in 2011.
She’s a social media star and fashion icon
Beyond her reputation as a global leader and advocate, Queen Rania has skillfully leveraged her background in technology to build a remarkable social media presence. She has accounts on Twitter (10.6 million followers) and Instagram (4.5 million followers), a Facebook page (16.6 million followers) and even launched her own YouTube channel (59,021 followers) in 2008 to discuss religious tolerance and confront stereotypes about Muslims and Arabs.
As a fashion icon, she is regularly featured in magazines like Marie-Claire and Glamour. Overall, the queen has struck a delicate balance between proudly showcasing Jordan’s traditions and relating to the common people, while also pushing for more openness and reform. She gives Jordan a positive image for women in the Arab world. Above all, she is proof that a country’s strength lies not only in its tourist sites and traditions, but also in its people.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.