Egypt may have amassed 7,000 years of history and civilisation, but besides its breathtaking ancient attractions, the country also possesses a blend of modern culture, top cuisine and hospitable people. If you’re planning a visit, here are our tips on how to spend your time wisely.
Looking for the full package? Join our 10-day Egyptian adventure to ensure an experience that scratches way beyond the surface of this mesmerising country. Led by our Local Insider, you’ll get to go to places and enjoy immersive activities that take you off the beaten track.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Start with an authentic breakfast
An authentic Egyptian breakfast isn’t be complete without foul medames (cooked fava beans), tameya (patties made of ground fava beans), fried or boiled eggs, fresh fries, cheese with tomato and green pepper and traditional baladi bread. With its exceptional variety and mouthwatering taste, an Egyptian breakfast leaves you feeling full and energetic for most of the day.
Ride a camel
The Pyramids of Giza are a must-see for anyone visiting Egypt. Make your visit extra special by enjoying this ancient wonder from atop a camel, one of Egypt’s most emblematic creatures.
Take a walk in Khan el-Khalili
As one of the most traditional bazaars in Cairo, Khan el-Khalili is a unique attraction for both tourists and Egyptians. There, shoppers can buy all the souvenirs they want and have lasting memories of their trip. Even just walking around Khan el-Khalili’s narrow alleys and watching the Egyptian vendors provides an exceptional break that provides a glimpse into Egyptian culture and its traditions.
Just like breakfast, Egyptian lunch offers a wide range of varieties of authentic meals. However, one of the most traditional meals to try when visiting Egypt is kushari, which consists of rice, macaroni, lentils and tomato sauce with garlic vinegar poured on top before being sprinkled with chickpeas and fried onions.
To all the adventurous folk out there, sandboarding in Egypt’s sand dunes is not to be missed. At 140m (460ft) high, the Great Sand Sea near Siwa Oasis offers what is widely considered to be the best dune surfing in the world.
Cruise the Nile
Egypt’s ancient civilisation, agriculture and way of life would never have been possible without the Nile. Whether visiting Cairo or Aswan, don’t leave Egypt without cruising the Nile.
Discover Islamic Cairo
Cairo is the city of a thousand minarets, a nickname that reflects the many mosques located across its neighbourhoods. These mosques have been built during different eras and each represents the reign of a different kingdom.
Drink Asab El Sokar
Asab Al Sokar, Arabic for sugarcane, is one of the most common juices in Egypt – light and thirst-quenching, making it ideal during the heat of summer. Don’t leave without trying.
Tour Egypt’s ancient wonders
Luxor and Aswan host the highest amount of Pharaonic sites in Egypt. Nevertheless, there are other temples, statues and Pharaonic sites for tourists to enjoy.
Dive into the Red Sea
Locations such as Marsa Alam, Hurghada, Sharm Al Sheikh and Dahab offer many great diving sites where visitors can discover the hidden beauty of the Red Sea and its rich ecosystem.
Visit El Fayoum
El Fayoum, one of the country’s oldest cities, offers activities including surfing the sand dunes, visiting waterfalls at the Wadi El Rayan, camping in Wadi El Hetan (Whales Valley), hiking Modawara Mountain, or visiting the villages of Tunis and Youssef El Sadik.
Hike Mount Sinai
At a height of 2,285m (7,497ft), the sunrise or sunset from the summit of Mount Sinai is a sight to behold. Besides the vistas, hiking Mount Sinai is a great adventure presenting a range of challenges and rewards to the intrepid traveller.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.