Tel Aviv is home to an eclectic and vibrant music scene that attracts the country’s best talent as well as internationally renowned artists. With its array of concert venues, nightclubs, and bars – not to mention several great record stores – Tel Aviv offers much for the music lover and caters to a diverse range of tastes.
Tel Aviv is abundant with unpretentious yet uber-cool bars where great music is the norm rather than exception. Many of these are found in the south of the city. Pasaz, on the busy Allenby Street, is an unassuming underground bar (literally) that plays genres as diverse as blues, hip-hop and electronic, in addition to Arab music and live indie performances.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Nearby are two more venues that are key players in the city’s music scene and centres of the hipster kingdom that is Tel Aviv: Kuli Alma, an all-round creative hub with a top sound system where DJs and live acts play electronic, house, hip-hop and ethereal tunes, and Beit Romano where Teder.FM, a popular Israeli radio station, has settled.
Romano is a unique spot, located in an old and enclosed shopping square off a Florentine street. There, DJs from Israel and abroad spin the decks all night (and sometimes all day) to funk, hip-hop, reggae and electro music, and you can feast on delicious pizza and also trendy but expensive food from famous chef Eyal Shani.
Close by is Hoodna, a quintessentially Florentine establishment where locals enjoy the chilled out atmosphere and listen to live performances and DJ sets that take place throughout the week. They also have their own band, Hoodna Afrobeat Orchestra, a diverse group of 14 musicians making a name for themselves in Israel with their Ethiopian-infused jazz and Afrofunk.
Ozen Bar in central Tel Aviv is another top spot for live alternative music, showcasing local artists in a compact and lively atmosphere.
Anna Lou Lou in Jaffa is one of the area’s best hidden gems; a cultural institution and political statement as much as it is a dance bar, Anna Lou Lou is beacon of co-existence where Israelis and Palestinians, gay and straight, males and females go to dance the night away to its eclectic mix of music, from Latin and Arab tunes to old school hip-hop and Israeli songs.
For those keen to explore Tel Aviv’s underground electronic music scene, there are several great options. The Block, in Tel Aviv’s Central Bus Station, boasts a world class sound system and attracts leading techno DJs including Richie Hawtin and Nina Kraviz.
The Cat and Dog is a grungy venue hosting local and international DJs, where ravers dance while most of the country sits down for breakfast. Breakfast Club, incidentally, is another leading nightclub on Rothschild Boulevard, feeding its crowd with deep house and techno tunes well into the next morning.
In a basement off Rothschild Boulevard is Radio EPGB, arguably the hippest, most musically eclectic of all Tel Aviv’s nightclubs where each night serves up something different, from rock and punk to indie and techno music.
There are several well-established concert venues in Tel Aviv. Barby in Florentine hosts a diverse mix of the country’s best artists, from Tuna (Israeli hip-hop) to The Angelcy and Lola Marsh (English speaking indie/folk music). Reading 3 by Tel Aviv’s port boasts a state-of-the-art sound system and Zappa in the city’s north attracts top local and international artists.
Fans of alternative music often deriving from obscure inspirations (Morrocan Gnawa, anyone?) should head to Levontin 7 (named after its address) and HaAzor (The Zone), where local artists perform throughout the week.
The best spot to catch mainstream, world-renowned artists is Park Hayarkon, Tel Aviv’s largest park, which has hosted names such as Radiohead and Justin Bieber this year.
Complementing Tel Aviv’s dynamic and vibrant music nightlife is its mix of record stores. In Florentine lies Beatnik, devoted largely to second-hand records of all genres, from funk, to hip-hop to Middle Eastern tunes.
Nearby is B-side Stereo, which boasts an extensive and equally diverse collection of new and old vinyls, as well as a garden patio with cool graffiti where you can sip their delicious coffee and mingle with your fellow music connoisseurs. It also hosts funky and eclectic live DJ sets.
In central Tel Aviv, near the Dizengoff Mall, is The Third Ear, a two-story establishment in its 30th year containing around 50,000 records (and just as many CDs and DVDs), that are old, new and imported. Here you can find anything from traditional Middle Eastern music to psychedelic, jazz, and classical rock. It also runs a successful record label that releases and reissues its top picks from Israel’s music scene. This store connects to the aforementioned Ozen Bar (Ozen means ‘ear’ in Hebrew), where you can catch some live music after getting lost in its vast vinyl collection.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.