Undulating hills, gorgeous coastline and Roman history, the lively city of Tiberias, in Israel has it all. This ancient metropolis – built in the first century and named after the Roman emperor Tiberius – has a wealth of sites to explore. With everything from charming traditional architecture to stunning views of the Sea of Galilee on offer, explore the city from the comfort of one of these top-rated hotels in Tiberias, bookable with Culture Trip.
A grand basalt-brick facade and lush gardens offering privacy from the outside world, make this luxury property a sought-after spot. This characterful hotel in Tiberias was built in the late 19th century and originally served as a hospital before a grand renovation. Bedrooms in the original wings feature exposed-brick walls and four-poster beds. Dip your toe in the outdoor pool and gaze at the Sea of Galilee from your lounger. The spa is another highlight, as is the cracking wine cellar and bar.
Skip out of bed and straight to the waters at this stylish boutique hotel on the Sea of Galilee. Rooms exude contemporary flair; floor-to-ceiling glass patio and balcony doors offer highly Instagrammable panoramas of the glistening lake beyond. Unwind at the private white-sand beach or take a dip in the swimming pool. The spa will further your state of relaxation. On the food front, the restaurant serves mouth-watering local delicacies with indoor and outdoor seating available.
Perched on a hilltop, this upscale hotel boasts sublime lake views. It’s also a fantastic spot if you’re a keen hiker, with a network of trails on the doorstep. Bike riding is another popular activity in the area and there are plenty of historical sites to see on your way, such as the 13th-century Tomb of Maimonides pilgrimage site. After a day exploring, the bright, contemporary bedrooms make for a great spot to unwind. To refuel, head to the restaurant where the menu showcases traditional fare.
The rooms at this boutique hotel in Tiberias offer plenty of space with which to play. Highlights include elegant parquet flooring, air conditioning and flat-screen TVs. Head to your balcony to soak up views of the ground-floor swimming pool or the Sea of Galilee. Take a stroll to the beach and head back to the hotel restaurant for some Mediterranean delights. In the morning, there’s an Israeli buffet with a plentiful spread on offer.
If you love an active holiday, this hotel in Tiberias makes for a super comfortable and convenient basecamp to explore the surrounding area. You don’t have to venture far to find everything from surf lessons and stand-up paddleboard river tours to ATV rides and hot air balloon flights. On the accommodation front, there are 100 rooms spread over three floors, with muted tones giving a cosy feel. The family-style dining room rustles up bountiful breakfasts and dinners, with lunch on request.
As the name suggests, this unique hotel in Tiberias has been hosting guests for more than 100 years. Many of the original basalt-rock walls still exist within the hotel, transporting you back to the early 20th century. The historical theme runs through to the spa where you can enjoy a pampering experience. The restaurant is equally as characterful, with dishes such as sofrito, calzone and fresh fish on offer. And for those who fancy a spot of retail therapy, it’s a short hop to plenty of shops.
Calm the body and mind at this expansive hotel which has a state-of-the-art spa. Choose from a variety of treatments, with everything from mud therapy to reflexology on the menu. After a soothing massage, enjoy the comfortable confines of one of the 220 spacious, well-designed rooms. They all come with spectacular views towards the Sea of Galilee and the hilly Golan Heights area. There are also seven luxurious suites – two of them presidential, if you fancy elevating your holiday experience.
On the shores of the Sea of Galilee, this dinky hotel in Tiberias dating to the mid-19th century is aesthetically pleasing with a neat exterior and basalt-rock detailing. There are just 11 rooms, with antique interiors transporting you back in time. The suites include balconies and whirlpools at the foot of the bed. Nearby attractions include an open-air sculpture museum and the Yigal Allon promenade where you can find fish restaurants and a light show come nightfall.
Natural stone tiles, cave-like walls and grand four-poster beds create a whimsical feel at this tucked-away spot. The holiday complex, located just five minutes from the Sea of Galilee, includes several self-catering apartments with a barbecue on the terrace for cooking up a feast. The pearl of the place is a heated Turkish bath housed in a small grotto. There’s also a hot tub and indoor pool to help guests unwind.
Looking for more places to stay in Tiberias? Discover our guide to the best hotels near The Sea of Galilee, otherwise known as Lake Tiberias, offering spectacular views and close proximity to historic and sacred sites. If you’re exploring Israel, we recommend checking into one of these hotels in the affluent coastal city of Herzilya, which lies just 20 minutes north of the country’s capital, Tel Aviv, and offers white-sand beaches and the beautiful Apollonia National Park. For a relaxing stay, rest your head at one of the best wellness retreats Israel has to offer, bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.