Zürich offers a wealth of dazzling sights, museums and restaurants, which continue to make it one of Europe‘s most intriguing capitals. If you are looking to immerse yourself into the local culture, to get off the beaten track or to discover new things about this Swiss jewel, we have just the thing for you; A list of Zürich’s best-kept secrets.
Open Air Baths
In the hot summer months travelers need not worry about cooling off, with the city’s numerous outdoor river and lake baths offering plenty of opportunity to while away the hours under the sun. The Frauenbadi at the Stadthausquai are strictly women only, while men congregate at the nearby Schanzengraben. Another noteworthy destination is the Seebad Enge, offering prime views over the Alps, or the Strandbad Mythenquai with its stunning beach. Many of the baths transform into trendy bars as soon as the sun sets, providing visitors with refreshing, alcoholic drinks and barbecues to create the perfect finish to a summer day.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you think Zurich is nothing more than a polished, squeaky-clean European capital swarming with bankers and professionals, then think again. Make your way to the up-and-coming Zurich West quarter and take a good look at the Rote Fabrik, an old factory building now representing one of the city’s most progressive and inspiring cultural and musical venues. From poetry slams, theater and films to food and incredible electro music concerts, the Rote Fabrik offers some of the most intriguing and versatile entertainments in the city. Additionally, local graffiti artists are encouraged to exhibit their talent by decorating the exterior of the artistic hub with their latest creative outbursts.
Seestrasse 395, Postfach 1073, 8038 Zürich, +41 44 485 58 58
On February 2, 1916 the population of Zurich awoke to a surprising announcement; the formation of “The Cabaret Voltaire”. Due to its neutrality in the Second World War, the Swiss capital had become a popular refuge for artists from all over the continent and consequently became the home of the inspiring Dada art movement. After its gradual decay throughout the years, a group of neo-Dadaist pioneers infused the stages of town with new life and creativity. The anarchic Dada movement continues to drive novel breakthroughs in the art world today, and where else to venture into its artistic depths than in the very place it first came to be? Why not swing by at Cabaret Voltaire for one of their tasty cocktails and enjoy a fantastic evening of provocative and artistic performances which are sure to leave a long-lasting impression.
Spiegelgasse 1, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland, +41 43 268 57 20
Considering the size of the Street Parade, it might not appear quite so secret, yet few people are aware that Zurich sets the scene for one the largest techno parties in the world. Since the end of the Love Parade in 2010, Zurich became home to the largest techno parade in Europe, representing a celebration of freedom, love and tolerance. Up to one million people follow the peaceful yet energetic parade along the shores of Lake Zurich on the second Saturday of August each year, and around 30 Love mobiles filled with dancers and DJs spread rhythmic vibes that transform the city’s otherwise tranquil atmosphere into an animated and engaging party.
Zürich is not only one of the top destinations for jazz music lovers, offering some of the best venues and artists on the continent, but also hosts one of the most significant jazz festivals in the world. Jazznojazz invites artists from various related genres, ranging from funk and soul to blues, or other comprehensive styles, to prove their talent and elate the crowds. The festival has evolved into an institution for all sorts of experimental music, allowing its musicians to advance contemporary vibes and take their rhythms to a new, experimental level. The festival was first introduced by the AllBlues Konzert AG and has continued to grow in visitors as well as artists on a yearly basis.
Le Jardin Du Champagne
The newly opened Le Jardin Du Champagne brings to Zürich a spark of bubbly brilliance during the summer months. The secret Champagne garden party is one of the city’s new, hot places to be and, with its magical atmosphere, an event that is simply not to be missed. After making a reservation, an email will reveal the secret location of the party, along with additional information such as the night’s theme. Live bands and classy performances further increase the extraordinary ambiance and offer some truly memorable nights. Next to Cuban cigars comes a magnificent wine and champagne collection, and attendants can take their pick from marvellous, refreshing cocktails too.
Are you up for a culinary adventure? Why not become involved with Zürich’s Secret Dinner organisation and permit yourself a surprise night of gourmet food and quality drinks. The event takes place at top secret spots throughout the city, which are not revealed until customers arrive at the scene itself. From a boat house to art studios and brothels, expect the unexpected. The Secret Dinner concept includes everything from shuttle bus services to multi-course meals and alcoholic beverages. Since its beginnings this year the event has seen an impressive number of attendees all looking to be part of its novel take on the Swiss dining scene.
It’s easy to while away the hours in Zürich’s magnificent old town and along the shores of the dazzling Lake Zurich. But why not venture outside the touristic areas into Zurich’s western parts, former industry quarters, now home to some of the city’s hippest and trendiest restaurants, shops, museums and people? Here, visitors can find Switzerland’s highest building, the Prime Tower, and enjoy a refreshing drink at the Cloud’s Bar, located at the top. Or why not enjoy the rhythmic tunes of talented artists who take to the stage at Schiffbau, a former factory turned theater. Or, you can wander around the vast square of Frau Gerold’s Garten and enjoy organic dishes, sourced from the project’s very own garden, located on the premises.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.