Not only is Switzerland beautiful, but it’s also one of the most organised countries on earth. Wherever you stay – Zurich, Geneva or elsewhere – expect next-level attention to detail, especially if you book via Culture Trip.
Like the timepieces it’s known for, Switzerland is both beautiful and efficient. So, if you are undecided on where to go in Switzerland, head into the staggeringly beautiful Swiss Alps or the terraced vineyards of the Lavaux region near Lake Geneva, expect public transport to run like, well, clockwork. You’ll find this attention to detail throughout the Swiss hotel scene as well, from a spa that uses mountain spring water for its indoor pool to a butler that carries your skis to and from the slopes to make for a memorable break in Switzerland.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The fact that Movenpick has 350 soundproof rooms should give you an indication of just how close it is to Geneva International Airport. Ideal for business travellers, there’s complimentary public transport into the city centre from the hotel while the Palexpo convention centre is also nearby. Once the deals are done, stroll down to Lake Geneva for some sightseeing before heading back to Movenpick for Swiss specialities and Japanese delicacies at its two restaurants.
Few hotels do luxury quite as well as The Chedi, whether it’s in the cigar library, fireplaces in the rooms or the ski butler service – just in case you don’t feel like lugging your ski equipment to and from the slopes. Right in the heart of the Swiss Alps, the hotel has staggering views, which you can enjoy from the huge indoor pool. Add a Tibetan Relaxation Lounge and this is a place where pampering has been perfected.
One of the greatest views in Switzerland is of Lake Geneva with layers of the Swiss Alps fading into the distance beyond. Le Mirador, above Vivey, offers perhaps the best vantage point to take in the vista, with each of its rooms coming with a balcony or patio. The hotel is also the perfect perch to explore the Lauvaux region and surrounding areas. Rolling vineyards, the Charlie Chaplin museum and Chillon Castle, which looks like it’s about to fall into Lake Geneva, all await.
Located in the Vaud Jura Arc, Grand Hôtel des Rasses has a couple of fine eateries to complement its beautiful surroundings. Dating back to 1913, the decor is as elegant as the swans that glide through the nearby Lake Neuchâtel – the hotel has columns, large chandeliers and a terrace that offers panoramic views of the Alps. La Boîte à Musique is even older, dating back to 1904, and specialises in traditional Swiss cuisine that takes its inspiration from the region.
If you are trying to find where to stay in Switzerland for a proper wellness break, Waldhotel Doldenhorn turns to the nearby Innerer Fisistock for help – the mountain supplying the spring water for the chalet-style hotel’s indoor pool. A particularly refreshing dip is part of a spa set-up that’s as good as anything you’ll find in Switzerland, with a Finnish sauna, steam bath, hammam area, solarium and range of massages. A particularly nice touch is a selection of baths, in which you can sip Champagne by candlelight.
A slice of Italy in the south of Switzerland, the town Bellinzona is an irresistible blend of piazzas, neo-classical architecture and well-preserved medieval castles. Among all this, La Tureta fits like a Prada glove. Located in an 18th-century Scalabrini palace, the hotel has a banquet hall under a vaulted ceiling, stone walls and a restaurant with spectacular frescoed walls that serves Mediterranean cuisine. For a thoroughly Italian evening, sit at a table outside, overlooking Piazza Grande.
Perched 450m (1476ft) above Lake Lucerne, the Bürgenstock Hotel is at the heart of the Bürgenstock Resort, near the Hammetschwand lift – Europe’s highest outdoor lift – and an Alpine golf course. There are several world-class restaurants and lovely terraces to pick from, but for sheer wow factor nothing beats an outdoor pool with an infinity edge that offers breathtaking views of Lake Lucerne.
Plenty of mountain air and sun (it tops the charts for hours of sunshine in Switzerland) makes the La Val Hotel in the town of Brigels the best place to digitally detox. And the relaxed atmosphere starts with the timber and stone interiors of the rooms, inspired by the surrounding mountain scenery. Creature comforts include loungers on the south-facing balconies, for making good use of that high-altitude sun.
A location right in the heart of Zurich makes the Hotel Alexander a good place to stay for work or play. The banking and business district is a stroll away, as is the Zurich Exhibition Centre and the Zurich University campus. When it’s time to relax, the Bahnhofstrasse shopping street, lakeside and riverside promenade and a large collection of bars, cafes and restaurants are also nearby. A rich breakfast buffet with regional products sweetens the deal even more.
Since opening to great fanfare in 1957 as a garden hotel, the Park Hotel Winterthur has undergone a facelift or two without ever losing its charm. Key to its popularity is its location in a park – a lush green space that prompted the hotel’s name change in 2005 from Garden Hotel Winterthur. The same renovation saw the Ellipse restaurant change its name to Bloom – an apt description for an eatery that serves meals on a park terrace or under the imposing old beech tree.
For excellent views of Lake Geneva and a location close to the best ski resorts in Switzerland, book a stay in Montreux. See the best hotels in Montreux. Or if you fancy exploring other parts of stunning Switzerland, check out the best hotels in Grindelwald, Switzerland, for every traveller, bookable with Culture Trip. Heading to Andermatt? Check out these top hotels there. For more options, discover these boutique hotels in Lucerne.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.