From the shores of its lakes to the summits of its mountains, the Canton of Ticino is dotted with a large number of villages and towns, each with its own interesting history and different personality. There are six, however, that shine with even more splendour and that make people who visit them instantly fall in love, leaving in them a longing to go back for more.
A real beauty entirely made of stone, Lavertezzo is famous in Ticino – and in the rest of Switzerland – for being a picture-perfect riverside village with a very pretty parish church. But what really makes this place popular is its double arch bridge crossing the incredibly blue waters of the Verzasca river: built in the 17th century to facilitate commerce, today, it has become a meeting point for daredevils who dive from it into what can only be described as ice cold water.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Located at the very end of the winding road that goes up the Verzasca Valley running along the eponymous river, Sonogno is a pedestrian-only paradise of stone houses, fountains and red geraniums on windowsills. The tall mountains around it make it the ideal starting point for unforgettable hikes, while the streets around town offer countless opportunities to shop or sit down for local products such as cheese, cold cuts, wine and honey.
No wonder Morcote was named the ‘most beautiful village in Switzerland’ in 2016: this lakeside gem has everything it needs to steal your heart. The shore is dotted with cafes and restaurants, which offer the chance to take in the beauty of the village and the lake, the arcades are home to small shops and boutiques selling locally made artefacts and the back streets are, quite simply, a photographer’s dream come true with painted houses, ancient arches and pretty wooden doors. Morcote is also home to Parco Scherrer, a botanical garden and open-air museum that is an absolute must-see.
A bit off the beaten path, Carona is a village with incredible views over Lake Lugano and a quiet, easy-going vibe. Its parish church, dedicated to St. George, is a masterpiece of Baroque architecture, with stunning frescoes and an imposing facade – the alleys all around it just beg to be explored. Behind every corner, you will find more beauty, more painted houses, ancient sundials, balconies in bloom and a few bars and restaurants ideal for al fresco dining. Nearby, Parco San Grato is a lovely botanical garden with breathtakingly beautiful panorama points.
An old fishermen’s village, Gandria is one of Ticino’s best-loved spots for a day trip, as it is easily reachable both by ferry boat or by taking a lovely and comfortable path from Lugano. Its houses, built on the water edge, were all painted a different colour so they would be easily recognisable from a distance by fishermen coming home in the dark and today, are home to a good variety of specialty stores and restaurants. The old traditional fishing boats still sit on the shore, giving visitors the impression of having travelled back in time.
One of Ticino’s most unique villages, Bosco Gurin has a very ancient and interesting history: it was built during the Walser migration in 1244 at the very end of the Maggia Valley, near the Italian border and unlike the rest of the region, where Italian is the official language, the inhabitants of Bosco Gurin still proudly speak a Walser German dialect. Their strong attachment to their roots and traditions can also be seen in the wonderful architecture of the village, almost entirely made of wooden Walser-style houses, which add a unique Alpine charm to it. If you want to see Bosco Gurin at its most beautiful, visit in the winter when the village is covered in snow and the slopes are open for skiing.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.