For such a small country Switzerland, a land of mountains, is spoiled by its spectacular natural scenery. In almost any part of the country, you’ll be treated to view that will take your breath away, and leave a lasting memory. Here, discover 17 of the natural wonders that can be found in Switzerland.
Renowned as the most photographed mountain in the world, the jagged tooth-like Matterhorn is a wonder to behold. At a dizzying 4,478-metres high it’s one of the tallest mountain in the Alps.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Rhine Falls
The Rhine Falls, Europe’s largest waterfall, is a wall of frothing white foam that thunders from afar as hundreds of cubic feet of water flow over it every single second. Even more impressive are the rocks at its centre which have somehow withstood it’s erosive power for centuries.
Other lakes may be larger, but few challenge the Oeschinensee in terms of beauty. Like a mirror, it reflects the surrounding mountain walls that surrounds it, making it perhaps the most photogenic lake in the Alps.
Oeschinensee, Switzerland 🇨🇭, April 2017
A post shared by Emilien Gigandet (@emilien.gigandet) on Jul 2, 2017 at 12:59pm PDT
One of the great glaciers from the last Ice Age, the Aletsch Glacier stretches for 23 kilometres and is the largest glacier that can be found in Europe today.
Known as the Top of Europe, the Jungfraujoch is one of the most spectacular areas of the Swiss Alps, directly accessible by railway.
This ancient glacial valley is 3 kilometres deep! Its distinctive U-shape makes it easy to imagine the massive glaciers that carved it from the surrounding mountains. Not to mention, a staggering 72 waterfalls line the valley.
Among the many waterfalls in the Lauterbrunnen Valley are the Staubbach Falls, the highest free-falling waterfall in Europe, where the water cascades from 300 metres high.
Staubbach Falls • • The Staubbach Falls (German: Staubbachfall) is a waterfall in Switzerland, located just above Lauterbrunnen in the Bernese Oberland. The waterfall drops about 300 metres (1000 ft) from a hanging valley that ends in overhanging cliffs above the Lütschine River.
A post shared by Luka Valas (@lukavalas) on Jul 1, 2017 at 8:41am PDT
Eiger is where you’ll find the Mordwand, the Death Wall. This another name for Eiger’s notorious north face which has claimed many experienced climbers’ lives over the years. This fear-inspiring reputation has ensured Eiger more fame than the taller mountains of Monch and Jungfrau which stand nearby.
Four-armed Lake Lucerne, is a picturesque, if not complicated, lake. In German it is known as the “Lake of the Four Forested Elements” which explains quite well its unusual shape, full of sharp bends and a width that spans four valleys.
The largest lake in Switzerland, and in the Alps, Lac Léman (also known as Lake Geneva) curves for 73 kilometres from Geneva, on the western border with France, all the way along to the resort town of Montreux. Towering above it are the Alps, making for dramatic views along the breadth of the water’s edge.
Lac souterrain St-Léonard
Europe’s largest underground lake is found in Switzerland, along the Rhone valley. On a boat ride you can explore its eerily calm waters.
A post shared by @krystiankorszla on Jun 25, 2017 at 6:28am PDT
Glacial flow from the nearby Eiger Glacier is responsible for the wonder that is the Trümmelbach Falls, a spectacular network of 72 underground waterfalls. It’s possible to follow the falls through a trail of bridges and tunnels.
..underground waterfall #cave #underground #waterfall #glacier #explore #julesverne #travel #trummelbachfalls #lauterbrunnen #adventure #shvadchak #schweiz #switzerland #nature #olympus #getolympus #olympus_ru #olympuskameras
A post shared by Orest (@freezelighter) on Jun 28, 2017 at 2:57am PDT
The Fairies’ Grotto, St. Maurice
Carved by thousands of years of erosion, the Fairies’ Grotto in St. Maurice is home to a subterranean lake and a thundering 50 metre high underground waterfall.
Another glacier carved wonder is Aare Gorge, where the Aare River, fed by glacial run-off, cut through 200 metres of limestone leaving behind a 1.4 kilometre long gorge. Walking along the length of the gorge and running a hand along of the smooth surfaces gives a sense of the power of the natural forces that shaped the surrounding land.
Creux de Van
Admire nature’s transformative power at the Creux de Van which looks uncannily like a giant amphitheatre. This 160 metre high curving bowl is also a great place to spot ibex and other wildlife.
Les Grottes de Vallorbe
The floor blends with the ceiling in the Vallorbe Caves as natural limestone stalactites and stalagmites are dotted around this cave complex that follows the course of the Orbe River. Also on show is the “Fairies’ Treasure”, a large collection of minerals and crystals.
PERFECTION ✨ . . #grottedevallorbe #grotte #caverne #cave #rock #rocks #stone #nature #naturelovers #naturephotography #amazing #beauty #mothernature #landscape #landscapephotography #igerssuisse #myvaud #forest #switzerland #switzerlandwonderland #instanature #instapic #follow #visit #explore #motherearth
A post shared by Maria 🌸 (@missmariasweetcake) on Jun 13, 2017 at 8:51am PDT
The Earth Pyramids of Euseigne are a veritable wonder. Between 8,000 to 10,000 years old, these earth columns were created during the last Ice Age when the retreating glaciers left behind large rocks that stopped the ground beneath them from eroding.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.