Lake Geneva, or Lac Léman, is Switzerland’s largest lake, and it curves along the border of France. A trip there is guaranteed to come with dramatic scenery. On the Swiss side, you have the Jura Mountains, and across the border in France, the glistening, snow-capped peak of Mont Blanc is visible on clear days. Here are the best things to see and do around Lake Geneva.
For some of the most spectacular views of Lake Geneva, you should head to France and Mont Salève. A short bus or car ride away from Geneva takes you to the foot of the Salève, and you can either hike up or take a short journey on a cable car. Once at the top, you’ll have unrivalled views of Lake Geneva and Geneva itself. While traversing the mountaintop, you may be able to catch a glimpse of Mont Blanc on sunny days.
The vineyards of Lavaux are one of the most spectacular spots around Lake Geneva. The vineyards stretch for nearly 30 kilometres (18.6 miles) along the banks of the lake, and they’ve been in use since the Roman times, an illustrious history that’s earned them recognition as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. To this day, the vineyards still produce some of Switzerland’s best wine. You can visit the vineyards easily from any of the cities and towns along Lake Geneva.
Wine lover or not, you’ll fall for the caves ouvertes, a wonderful tradition that welcomes the coming of spring around Lake Geneva. Every year, all of the wine producers, most of them small, family-run businesses, open their doors to sell their wares at discount prices. Buy a glass, and you can ‘sample’ as many different Swiss wines as you like. Most of the small villages around Lake Geneva host their own events, including traditional Swiss food stalls offering up dishes such as raclette.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Most visitors to Lake Geneva head to Geneva or Montreux, but missing out on Lausanne would be a mistake. This beautiful city is vibrant and has a charm of its own, particularly in the old town district. Climbing through its hilly streets, you’ll come across historic buildings – such as the Lausanne Cathedral – that are among the most spectacular in the entire country. On top of this, Lausanne is known for its great nightlife and local culinary experiences.
While exploring Geneva, you’ll inevitably glimpse the towering cascade of water which is the Jet d’Eau (literally, the water jet). The fountain started its life as a safety valve for a hydroelectric plant; now it’s a steadfast landmark of the city. Take a tour around the city’s lakefront from the Jardin Anglais to the Jardin Botanique on the opposite bank, crossing the Pont du Mont-Blanc, to take in the best sights that Geneva has to offer you.
Chillon Castle is one of the jewels of Lake Geneva – and the entire country. It’s renowned as the most beautiful castle, not least because of its perfect setting on the shores of Lake Geneva, with enviable overlooks of the distant mountains. The castle dates back to the 13th century and has been a fortress, summer home and a prison during its long life. Learn more about its fascinating history here.
Chillon Castle, Avenue de Chillon 21, Veytaux / Montreux, Switzerland, +41 21 966 89 10
Fans of Queen will want to mark a trip to Montreux as a must-do. The rock legends recorded the bulk of their hit albums here, and with good reason. The resort town, nestled on the eastern bank of Lake Geneva, has an illustrious history as a place for poets and musicians. If music isn’t your thing, then there is plenty more to do here, including peaceful hikes into the surrounding countryside or a walk along the flower-lined promenade.
Visit local markets
Some of Switzerland’s best local markets take place in the towns around Lake Geneva. At the Puces de Nyon, all manner of second-hand and vintage items are for sale along the waterfront. During summertime, the town of Vevey plays host to a Swiss folklore market, complete with traditional dress, tankards of beer and plenty of trinkets and local crafts. Weekly markets also occur in Geneva, Lausanne, Montreux and most other towns.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.