Switzerland comes alive during the winter season, particularly in the weeks running up to Christmas. Beautiful markets spring up across the country, town centres shimmer with fairy lights and even historic buildings join in the festive spirit. Here are 11 things for you to do on your trip to Switzerland, that’ll make this a Christmas to remember.
Visit a Christmas Market
There are plenty of Christmas markets to choose from across Switzerland. Montreux Noël is perhaps one of the best, and most beautiful markets that you’ll come across in the entire country as the famous Chillon Castle gets into the festive spirit. Basel also hosts a mean market and its light show turns the old town into a true winter wonderland; for good reason is it known as one of Switzerland’s prettiest Christmas events.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
During the festive season, any town or city in Switzerland that’s worth its name opens up an ice rink. Some, like Locarno’s beautiful ice rink that takes up its Piazza Grande, are definitely worth visiting. Another option is Zurich’s Christmas Village or the Dolder Ice Complex, Switzerland’s largest artificial ice rink, that’s incredibly popular.
Enjoy some Glühwein
The Swiss don’t need an excuse to enjoy wine. So when winter rolls almost everywhere starts brewing up Glühwein, hot mulled wine. There’s nothing like it to warm you on a frigid day and enjoying a cup, or two, is a must-do on any Christmas vacation.
Escape to a beautiful small town
Visiting one of Switzerland’s bigger cities (like Zurich or Geneva) is always eventful, but if you prefer to keep things calm and a little quieter you should check out one of these towns. Each has its own unique character, particularly during winter, and will offer you a different experience that you can’t find in the cities.
Chow down on cheese fondue
Keeping in the tradition of warding off the winter chill, you should make sure to try a nice pot of molten cheese fondue; Switzerland’s national dish. Winter is the fondue eating season (you will find it during summer but it’s not advised). Best not gorge on this heavy dish before a skiing trip, but it’s the best way to rebuild energy and you can enjoy a glass of white wine in the process.
Stay in an igloo
Want to make your Christmas one to remember? Then you should head to an igloo village. Don’t worry, Santa won’t bring you hypothermia as these comfortable lodges come with a snug sleeping bag, or a luxurious quilted bed if you want to splurge a little.
Hit the slopes
Whether you are a skier or a snowboarder, or a snowman builder for that matter, you’ll find there’s plenty of snow filled fun to be had in Switzerland, particularly around Christmas time. Hit up some of the most spectacular ski resorts in Europe or go for something a little more low-key.
Ogle at Switzerland’s tallest Christmas tree
Every year, St. Gallen outdoes the rest of Switzerland with a gigantic 20 metre Christmas tree that glimmers with the glow of over 5000 fairy lights. The tree sits in front of the Abbey of St. Gallen, one of the most beautiful buildings in the country. You won’t be disappointed by the rest of the town, which has a fully pedestrianized center, the streets of which become a “city of stars” during the Festive season.
Join a Christmas day procession
If you’re sticking around Switzerland for Christmas Day you should head to central Switzerland. On Christmas Day people take to the streets wearing trychlers (giant cow bells), masks and banging on drums. All this racket carries on for a few days until New Year’s Eve. It’s an old tradition that is supposed to chase all of the evil spirits away for a time.
Pick up a typical Swiss present
Switzerland is known as the home of luxury products, so if you are stuck for gift ideas you’ll find plenty of inspiration. Whether you are looking for a smooth, creamy bar of chocolate, a glimmering diamond or an eye-catching timepiece, you’ll find what you’re looking for and more. Otherwise you can always pick up a nice, clunky cow-bell for that special person, because, you know, who doesn’t love cow-bells?
Go for a winter walk
Switzerland is one of the best spots to hike in the world. This doesn’t stop during winter as you can still enjoy a walk on crisp, sunny days as the snow crunches beneath your feet. Great places to go if you want to enjoy a spot of winter walking or snowshoeing are the cantons of Valais and Graubünden, each offer hundreds of kilometres of trails to explore.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.