Perched on a small island on Lac Léman also known as Lake Geneva, near the town of Montreux, Chillon Castle is a spectacle not to be missed during any visit to Switzerland. Ideally located with breath-taking views of the surrounding Alps, it holds the enviable status as the most visited historical building in the country, with 350,000 visitors every year.
Life on the little island plot that is home to Chillon dates back to the Bronze age, but the first mention of an actual settlement doesn’t appear in the written record until 1150. At that time, the area was under the control of the Counts of Savoy. Back then, it was likely to be a group of structures that over time were joined together to form the modern castle.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Counts held Chillon for over 400 years, its strategic position on Lake Geneva gave them control over important trade routes from Italy through the St. Bernhard’s Pass to the north.
But the Counts of Savoy also liked to relax now and again, particular Peter II (1203 – 1268), who turned the Castle into part-summer-residence, part-fortress. It’s during this time that the present castle that we can see began to take its shape and today it is still possible to see wall paintings that date back to the 14th Century.
The Savoys did not stay in Chillon all year-round, instead they traveled across their territory as a way of keeping control. In part due to the Savoy travel-bug, Chillon fell out of favour and into disrepair as the Counts extended their control over French-speaking Switzerland. Other castles caught the eye as a summer home and Chillon became a dungeon first and foremost.
In 1536, the Bernese who rebelled against the rule of the Savoys, besieged Chillon for three weeks, marking the end of their conquest of the Pays de Vaud. For the next two hundred years, the Bernese held the castle but they continued the practice of their former masters and used it mainly as a weapons store and a prison.
The castle then passed into the hands of its present owners in 1798 when the Vaudois, inspired by the French Revolution, rebelled against the Bernese in 1797. After a tumultuous period, during which the Helvetic Republic rose and fell, the Canton of Vaud joined the Swiss Confederacy in 1803 and since then has held sway over Chillon.
Soon after, Lord Byron, the famous English poet immortalised the castle and its imposing dungeons through the life of François Bonivard, a Genevois monk, who was imprisoned there for four years in the 1530s for the crime of committing unpatriotic acts against the Savoys.
Chillon’s dungeons are an impressive architectural feat, as they are cut into the rock base of the castle. Byron, inspired by the thought of Bonivard in chains in the dank underbelly of the castle, penned The Prisoner of Chillon, a poem that romanticised the castle and placed it firmly in the annals of history. Byron was so enamoured with the place that he etched his name on to one of the castle’s gothic pillars and his scrawl can still be seen today.
After many centuries of neglect, restoration of Chillon began towards the end of the 19th Century and is still ongoing to this day, ensuring that the beautiful Chillon Castle and its tumultuous history remain there to be enjoyed for many years to come.
When you visit, you can truly feel the weight of the castle’s history upon you. From the beautiful views of Lake Geneva and the Alps that attracted the Savoys in summer to the dreary dungeons, which held manyunfortunate souls over the years, Chillon Castle is an experience that should not be missed on any trip to Switzerland.
Chillon Castle, Avenue de Chillon 21, Veytaux, Switzerland, +41 21 966 89 10
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.